Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grocery Shopping with Electric Wheel chair

Grocery Shopping with Electric Wheel chair

Hello,

My father is in a electric chair and is trying to find a tote to go shopping with. Any idea would be appriciated.

Hello back,

Any brown cardboard box that fits between his armrests will work fine.
    Dave

If he wants something permanent and classy there is a selection at www.reusablebags.com

They even sell a version of the grocery store lap basket but with beautiful print fabric covering the frame. Load it up, tell them to reload it after scanning, and take it home. I find it very easy to do this way. My hands are not great, so it is easier than cloth bags for me cause it is just stitting in the basket with no fishing for items required.

Lots of people just use one of the smaller plastic hand baskets and put it on their lap, fill it up and dump it into a larger basket they park near the checkout area. No need to purchase anything or lug it with you to the grocery store. Get a bag person to take your groceries to the car or van. Of course if he does not drive, then a basket like the ones above (more direct link here) might be good:

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/sh...ts-c-2_91.html

Of course if he is crossing streets, etc. in his chair he may also want to have a way to secure this in his lap better (Velcro strap??) so it doesn't tumble off in the middle of traffic.

Try to shop at times when other people will be shopping too, as this makes it easier to ask someone to reach things that are too high or low for him on the shelves.

(PS: hope you father is in a POWER wheelchair, not an electric chair!)

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    If he wants something permanent and classy
    I think I'm offended by that!
    Dave

Herco, I certainly didn't mean to imply that your brown cardboard box lacked class.......

Here's a link to the actual one I use.

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/re...ts-p-1561.html

Happy holidays every1.
    When, I go shopping, I use the small plastic basket w/handles located at the front of the store or by the cashier. When leaving ,I hang my bags on my wheelchair push handles and zoom off.
    coolbreeze c6/7

Keep on moving don't stop!

Grocery Shopping

I use a power chair and para-transit. When I shop, I carry a small, round laundry basket, a big backpack hung on the push handles, and huge duffel bag with me.

First, the clerk pushes a cart, with the empty duffel bag in it, to the customer service area where I know it won't be moved. Then, I fill the laundry basket (easier to hold on to the higher rim of it than a store provided basket, and holds more), and make trips back and forth to the cart -- perishable items last. Next, the clerk pushes the cart to the checkout area and I pay. Finally, the checkout person loads the groceries into my bags. They put the heavy, awkward or breakable stuff in the backpack, and the rest goes into the duffel bag, which is strapped on to my lap by threading the bag handles through my wheelchair seatbelt. Finally, I balance the laundry basket on top of zipped duffel bag and hold it in place with my less functional hand. Usually, everything fits into the backpack and duffel, but if I have to, I can carry lightweight items in the laundry basket. I drive the chair with my free hand.

My system is cumbersome, but it works and, by keeping everything confined to my lap and on my chair, I get around the "two shopping bags" limit with para-transit.

Quote Originally Posted by York View Post
    I use a power chair and para-transit. When I shop, I carry a
    small, round laundry basket, a big backpack hung on the push handles, and huge duffel bag with me.

First, the clerk pushes a cart, with the empty duffel bag in it, to the customer service area where I know it won't be moved. Then, I fill the laundry basket (easier to hold on to the higher rim of it than a store provided basket, and holds more), and make trips back and forth to the cart -- perishable items last. Next, the clerk pushes the cart to the checkout area and I pay. Finally, the checkout person loads the groceries into my bags. They put the heavy, awkward or breakable stuff in the backpack, and the rest goes into the duffel bag, which is strapped on to my lap by threading the bag handles through my wheelchair seatbelt. Finally, I balance the laundry basket on top of zipped duffel bag and hold it in place with my less functional hand. Usually, everything fits into the backpack and duffel, but if I have to, I can carry lightweight items in the laundry basket. I drive the chair with my free hand.
    --------------
    Sounds like a good system, but I am amazed that your paratransit has a two bag limit. Where I live there is no limit at all, and it is not unusual to see someone coming back to the condo I live in with ten or twelve bags at once since they are trying to get as much shopping accomplished as possible in any given venture out with the paratransit.