Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My dog seems to be going out in sympathy

My lab went out with bad hips and b&b issues. We waited to long to put her down and she died in pain. Still regret it...
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Thanks all. He gets a course of injections of some sort of anti-inflammatory (called Pentasan here) every 6 months or so for his hips and elbos and that normally perks him up a bit. If that doesn't do the trick this time then we will probably try one of the oral treatments.

He loves swimming and i took him for the first time this summer a couple of days ago and he couldn't manage to get out of the water without his legs collapsing. I think it was just the extra weight of the water in his coat and it probably stirred everything up. It was upsetting to see him struggle like that. But he seems happier today after a couple days R&R.

You are setting yourself for a major heartache. It is only going to get harder for him and your pushing him to it. He loves you and is going to do whatever he can to be with you and please you even if it means pushing his body over its limits to where he wont be able to get up. You'll be thinking, "oh, he just needs a second. He'll get up.", but he won't. His body will fail him and you will be forced to put him down in pain and misery. I hope you prepare yourself...

My lab was 13, my first pup. Got her when I was 11, she was 6 weeks old. Loved her a lot, now I know that I won't allow that to happen to another pet.

I have a 3 year old service dog that I keep fit, feed healthy and enjoy every moment because I know I'm human and will most likely outlive him. When I notice him start to struggle I will begin to mourn because I know his time is coming. It sucks, but I'll make sure he goes peacefully.

Maybe the injections will work...
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

There's a lot that can be done with pain management these days.

I kept my old dog going for several years - he didn't run, but he wasn't in pain and he was happy. If an owner is dedicated, often dogs can have a happy life, with their pain controlled.

Yeh, I think there is a point where you draw the line for their sake. For me, if he can get out for a little walk each day with a 'smile' on his face (with the help of simple pain management or anti-inflammatories) and get exciting about it then he is doing OK.

Today we will be going to family xmas lunch gathering in which there will be two goldies and a lab - all parts of our respective families and all much loved. I'm sure they will all enjoy the festivies as much as we do :-)