Thread: IMAP authentication - Any gurus out there?

IMAP authentication - Any gurus out there?

Any Unix postfix/IMAP gurus out there? I'm trying to get mail running on our CareCure server. SMTP a la Postfix is running great. We're getting our messages on the server, attachments are working, etc. I just can't authenticate with any client I try.

Our IMAP banner is this:

Connected to carecure.rutgers.edu.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-SHA1 IDLE STARTTLS] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2003 Double Precision, Inc. See COPYING for distribution information.

So it's running and supports CRAM-MD5 authentication. I set up the CRAM-MD5.pwd file with the same usernames as /etc/passwd. Just can't get it to work.

Any gurus out there with ideas?

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

[This message was edited by Jeff on 04-30-04 at 12:09 PM.]

best practice isn't to use authentication along those lines, but to establish IMAPS (993). if you'd like, I can have a certificate generated for the site.

I use IMAPS on a number of my personal servers.

what *nix are you using?

Malamber
    C6-Complete...ly cool!

Malamber - thanks for the reply. I really thought we would and should be able to get something simple working before implementing SSL.

We have Mac OSX which is built on top of BSD Unix. It has a built-in util for creating SSL certs should we need it.

Hmmmm... maybe that's it after all. I remember the university swiitching all their email to SSL a few months ago. Maybe being on this network requires that we use it too, somehow.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~