Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keep the animal shelters in mind for the holidays!

Keep the animal shelters in mind for the holidays!

Yes, I know people are suffering too. Just think of the dogs & cats, old & young though. There are alot of animal lovers here & many of which we now know don't celebrate the holidays for their own beliefs. Even if you do & can't visit a shelter on Christmas Eve or day, donate some toys, treats, whatever you can. I always made it a point (since I volunteered to work holidays anyway) to make sure every animal had one toy & a treat. Sometimes I just made sure each one had a CAN of food, which in a shelter is a luxury meal. On holidays, sometimes there is only one person designated to clean, care for & feed every animal which is a pain. Unfortunately, there isn't much time for attention that way either. So if money is tight & or you aren't celebrate the holidays "religiously", give some time to the animals. Give them some time outside their cage/pens, let them stretch their legs outside with a walk, socialize them, love them. Trust me, animals have souls & they deserve a holiday too.

GIVE US A THOUGHT PLEASE

Thanks for the reminder Shannon.
    Anyone who loves animals like you has to have a beautiful heart.
    Someone dumped another cat out in the country.
    Which means my place. Now I just noticed he got the black female pregnant.
    Because there's 3 new baby kittens eating at the bowl.
    2010 objective is to get the black female fixed.
    My aide bought my inside cat a present.
    Can't wait to see what it is. So sweet.

Mona, check to see if there is a spay/neuter clinic in your area. If not, contact your local humane society as they sometimes transport for you. They offergreat deals anyway, but by your income & the fact it is a stray,you may get by free. Are the kittens approachable,if so,now is the perfect time for them to go to the shelter to be adopted!

Checks go out this time of year to 2 chaities and one is a shelter in a very poor area. After I get new bath towels in the after Christmas sales the clean old ones will go to my local shelter along with a case of cans of special older dog food lower in protein.

And please do not buy your children puppies or kittens from pet stores or most newspaper ads this time of year. They are all from mills and will only cause your family pain and vet bills.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    Mona, check to see if there is a spay/neuter clinic in your area. If not, contact your local humane society as they sometimes transport for you. They offergreat deals anyway, but by your income & the fact it is a stray,you may get by free. Are the kittens approachable,if so,now is the perfect time for them to go to the shelter to be adopted!
    I'll ck that out Shannon. She keeps having babies.
    This is the 4 or 5 litter in 3 years.
    I can pay for it if I need too.
    I just can't get her there.
    I'm always afraid if they don't get adopted they'll kill them.

Amen Sue. I am very anti-petstore as well. They aren't from creditable breeders & not only will your $1000+ dog be unlikely healthy but buying from them only keeps puppy-mills in business. Puppy-millers are the slummiest of so called breeders & cruel, cruel, cruel!

Mona, turning over an animal to the ASPCA is a chance, yes. Kittens & puppies are very likely to make it through to the Adoption Program if they're healthy. Once in the program, they ARE safe & await adoption. I worked for a no-kill program, but it wasn't a "shelter" so to speak as we chose the animals for intake,ie; not a drop-off. The ASPCA does put MANY down, I won't lie but they have developed a great adoption program. (Below is my Harley Mae, she was rescued by a feral advocacy friend from the Animal Control side. She was brought in as a young kitten & would've been euthanized only b/c she had an URI). Do you have a no-kill group or any rescuers in your area? Sometimes they can pick-up. If you're willing to alter them all though, then WONDERFUL, you can have your own little colony.

Oh, I forgot Harley..just to think, she possibly would'nt have been here b/c of a cold...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    Amen Sue. I am very anti-petstore as well. They aren't from creditable breeders & not only will your $1000+ dog be unlikely healthy but buying from them only keeps puppy-mills in business. Puppy-millers are the slummiest of so called breeders & cruel, cruel, cruel!

Mona, turning over an animal to the ASPCA is a chance, yes. Kittens & puppies are very likely to make it through to the Adoption Program if they're healthy. Once in the program, they ARE safe & await adoption. I worked for a no-kill program, but it wasn't a "shelter" so to speak as we chose the animals for intake,ie; not a drop-off. The ASPCA does put MANY down, I won't lie but they have developed a great adoption program. (Below is my Harley Mae, she was rescued by a feral advocacy friend from the Animal Control side. She was brought in as a young kitten & would've been euthanized only b/c she had an URI). Do you have a no-kill group or any rescuers in your area? Sometimes they can pick-up. If you're willing to alter them all though, then WONDERFUL, you can have your own little colony.

Alter? Spay or neuter? No don't have that much money.
    I hope I find someone that wants them.
    Our shelter will put them down.

The pet store animals are dirty & smell.
    I can't believe people pay so much money for them.

Harley is beautiful. So big how did I miss her.
    Last edited by Mona~on~wheels; 12-22-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Looks like I found a Christmas kitty last night. She's white. I really can't have another cat. I'm trying to find her a place to go. I'm not sure she can hear, but she has a bad case of ear mites. I treated the ears with some left over from when I found a kitty last year. Hope it's not too old to work. She's friendly so she wasn't dumped too long before I found her.
    Anyone out there want a medium haired white kitty about 4 - 5 months old?
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

You may want to keep her segregated from your other cats. Stray cats can have some diseases.

Hopefully whoever takes her will have her tested. She sounds cute.