Thread: Power outage reset the date on my Mac

Power outage reset the date on my Mac

Not to mention that it reset the date on the CareCure server also. Hello? How does that happen? It happened a while ago and I never figured it out. Now I know.

Our X-serve came back up fine, no worse for wear. While our main Linux machine bit the dust in spite of an expensive UPS device.

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

It's simple: Apple sucks.

Remember, OS/X is based on Linux. Blame it on them.

-Steven
    "Sometimes, its enough to plant the seed, walk away, and let the flower grow on its own."

My first time here and I discover right off that the moderators are allowed to post inflammatory misinformation.
    Dissapointing.

Sounds like the PRAM battery needs replacing. The same thing happened to this one last year. It was fine because it was on all the time, then the power went out one day and it had a moment of temporary amnesia that continued from there on out every time it was shut down. I ordered a battery from a Mac reseller and had Abby and her small hands put it in through the RAM door on the bottom of the iMac (indigo CRT), and it worked just fine after that. The battery is what stores the date and time information when the Mac isn't receiving power or when it's turned off, and you may not notice the battery is dead if you never turn it off, so it's noticable once there's a power outage or something else that forces it to be shut down. It's actually not the fault of the power outage, but really just that battery. A $5 or so fix, and you'll be good to go.

I'm not deaf...I'm just ignoring you!

It was just a joke between friends, ho'ard. I believe Jeff was just posting that so he could rag on Linux, hence my reply.

If Jeff has trouble with the date ad time after cutting the power of the Mac on and off, Pb is more than likely correct. It has happened on a P3 based computer of my dads with the CMOS battery. If it has no date or time problems upon the next power on, it was likely just a static discharge that caused the time to reset.

-Steven
    "Sometimes, its enough to plant the seed, walk away, and let the flower grow on its own."

Actually, I was posting to vent and to get some help.

OSX is based on BSD Unix, not Linux. However both of them are really good, IMO. I wasn't blaming the OS, figured it had to be hardware of some kind.

Normal powering down must still leave the power on to the machine to at least maintain a clock because this doesn't reset the date/time. Only a power outage does.

I'll look into a new battery! Thanks!

~See you at the SCIWire-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

You're welcome. I hope that fixes it, and that it's not an iMac...if it is, find somebody with small hands, or figure out how to take apart the shell. Even with Abby's small hands, it was quite a precision operation to 1) pry the old battery out with a screwdriver without dropping it into the casing, and 2) get the new battery into the slot without dropping it into the casing. Good luck.

I'm not deaf...I'm just ignoring you!