Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why cancer??....

Hey Becky,

Scott is reight re cancer not being a death sentence. I had caner in my skull bone near my nose, removed, then in my left breast and right hand. Agent Orange.

But I'm 15 years cancer free and don't even think about it anymore.
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Thanks Scott & Bill,
    I know its not necessarily a death sentence, I am/was just shocked and just generally not the kind of news you want to hear. I know things will happen the way they are supposed to. Thanks again everyone for your help & thoughts/prayers!!

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    this.

my dad had it, got his prostate removed, cancer went with it. hasn't had a problem since.
    May be a bit personal, but can he urinate and do all other normal functions since? Maybe surgeries have gotten better, but I've heard stories of men completely lacking in their lower departments after that.

Cancer is just a bitch. I was angry that my mother needed her breasts removed. It may seem odd since I don't have breasts, but I was angry that all modern medicine could offer her was to chop her parts off. It would be like a doctor telling me he needed to completely remove my penis and put plastic in its place. I hate this shit and it's why I often lean towards death than fighting cancer because you literally torture yourself just to lose the battle in the end.

Blessings to all who're suffering with this illness right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    May be a bit personal, but can he urinate and do all other normal functions since? Maybe surgeries have gotten better, but I've heard stories of men completely lacking in their lower departments after that.
    nothing changed functionally, as far as I know... but that discussion hasn't taken place.

it certainly hasn't slowed him down if so.

good question.

Todd, I have a friend who had an aggressive form and needed the prostate removed and chemo at about 47. Many years later it takes truly serious laughing to cause even a few drops of a leak. The Brady Urological Center at Johns Hopkins has done cool improvements to improve out comes when removal is needed.
    My Dad was diagnosed at 73 and needed over a month of radiation. He's 78 now and has had maybe 3 hormone treatments since. His PSA spiked so the radiation. No worries now.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I know what Le Type Francais means - I wonder if I would fight some forms of cancer.

That said - there are many that are cured. And that you don't have to go through hell for the cure. I believe prostate cancer is one of the "better" forms of cancer you can get.

I'd hate to see someone not fight a form of cancer that was very likely curable, or controllable with a good quality of life.

I also know what it is like to have body parts amputated as the only known treatment of cancer just as LTFs mother has had to do. Mastectomy is such a drastically obvious treatment. But I would do it all over again.

I had immediate reconstruction done since I was only 30 at the time and thought I needed it for my own peace of mind. I have been cancer free for 25 years and even though the reconstruction has caused problems of its own, I am still glad that I did it. I will need a revision next year and am going to get it done.

Speaking as one who hads been there LTF, I would gladly do it all again just so I could see my first grandchildren born, see the sunrise each day and enjoy much of what life has given me. I would have hated to lose my life before I had a chance to see all of what I have seen and anticipate seeing and doing in the future.

Yes, it is a barbaric and drastic treatment, but as they say it sure beats the alternative.

Becky... I hope your grandfather is well and comfortable in spite of his diagnosis. It is just so common these days because people have been living longer and thank God for the tests that can pick up these diseases before they can kill. He should be OK with treatment if he needs it.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess