Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: central cord injury?

Another question...with a mild injury like this should the weakness resolve soon or will it take a long time? I plan to do as much as I can to rehabilitate, I am just thinking of all the things I miss and wondering when/ if I can do them again. Does the pain typically go away? The tingling is starting to get better and my arm feels a little less "dead" if you understand what I am saying, but I am still having a lot of pain and really really low strength in my arms to the point where its hard to wash my hair and open doors.

No one really knows how long it might take--everybody is different. I am almost seventeen months post-injury and I can open doors but can't wash my hair.

If you are looking for home exercise equipment, I would suggest a table bike. These can be used on the floor with legs or on the table with arms. You can make them go forward or backward.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegreenocean View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Wise, my legs are getting a lot better. I've been walking every day. They tried to put me on the bike at PT but I just couldn't tolerate it. I kept trying though. I've even been hiking twice (much shorter and flatter than what I am used to but it was great). I'm planning to get a treadmill or join a gym. I am still really worried about my arms but I am going to keep practicing and practicing and keep in mind that it can get better. I felt like I hit a plateau and I really didn't know I have a good possibility of getting better.

PN, the ER did not stabilize my neck at all. I was out of it, but my brother asked if it was good idea and and the dr. said it usually wasn't needed. I got tortocollis immediately so my neck was stuck sideways basically so I wonder if they could even get it in a brace if it was like that?

JB, interesting you bring up stenosis. The non-traumatic kind runs in my family. I'll have to ask if the dr saw it on my MRI at all, because that would explain some of this. I did have an EMG but I don't know the results. The dr did say something about my nerves being like a loose electrical cord. He uses all these anologies instead of the actual diagnosis.

SCI Nurse, I'll see if I can get my lawyer to let me see a physictrist. I never heard of it, but it seems like an excellent profession.

TAM, thanks for the info. about the contract. The first few weeks after the accident were a blur.

I need to find a good place that I can work out or just get a treadmill and some 2 -3 lb dumbells, and I am going to try to get a second opinion to see if anything can be done to restore some function, esp. in my arms, or for the spasms.

check on that and let us know