Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Virgin Mary Apparition in Cairo Egypt 12 & 16 Dec 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    The book of the disciples? Where is this book? I've never heard of such a document. Did Joseph simply jerk off their entire marriage? Would it be that bad to imagine Mary, Jesus' mother, enjoying an orgasm with her husband? She was human for God's sake.
    It is the book of "Acts" in the new testament. But I don't know where exactly, my mistake!
    and why bother ourselves so much about Mary's sexuality; isn't it just strange from your part as we never heard the word NUN before.
    Last edited by drnader; 12-29-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    whoever this poster is, even i know history says jesus had siblings. the bible does not dispute this. in fact, the bible says he did.

ref: Matthew 12:46, Luke 8:19, and Mark 3:31 say that Jesus’ mother and brothers came to see Him. The Bible tells us that Jesus had four brothers: James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (Matthew 13:55). The Bible also tells us that Jesus had sisters, but they are not named or numbered (Matthew 13:56). In John 7:1-10, His brothers go on to the festival while Jesus stays behind.

just sayin. not big religious person at all. in fact, not sure what i believe in. i do believe in history.
    I think in the Israeli and Mediterranean traditions; the cousins of a man are considered to be his brothers & sisters. I think they are the sons & daughters of Virgin's Mary sister.
    It is all about the concept of the family in Eastern traditions...

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    whoever this poster is, even i know history says jesus had siblings. the bible does not dispute this. in fact, the bible says he did.

ref: Matthew 12:46, Luke 8:19, and Mark 3:31 say that Jesus’ mother and brothers came to see Him. The Bible tells us that Jesus had four brothers: James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (Matthew 13:55). The Bible also tells us that Jesus had sisters, but they are not named or numbered (Matthew 13:56). In John 7:1-10, His brothers go on to the festival while Jesus stays behind.

just sayin. not big religious person at all. in fact, not sure what i believe in. i do believe in history.
    and if Jesus had brothers in the flesh, where were they when he was caught, prosecuted and crucified on the cross?! I think a blood-brother would have surely been there.

And it is said in John 7:5 "For even his brethren did not believe on him.". Also I think (and I am not the man who knows the scripture well to make such proofs) that blood-brethren should have believed in him for what they mother has told them of his miraculous birth and life and what was written in the scripture.
    Moreover; when did Mary gave birth to all these children and why not he had stayed with them, and how come he preferred the disciples over them??

But the ortodox church has more gospels then the catholics and the rest of us. They have a bigger Bible. That is why the church devided in Constantinopolis to the catholic and the orthodox church.
    LOL, don't people learn anything on school ;o)

OK, I am cheating, I know because my husband was a a greek orthodox and his father was catholic and he told me the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Church
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    But the ortodox church has more gospels then the catholics and the rest of us. They have a bigger Bible. That is why the church devided in Constantinopolis to the catholic and the orthodox church.
    LOL, don't people learn anything on school ;o)

OK, I am cheating, I know because my husband was a a greek orthodox and his father was catholic and he told me the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Church
    Orthodox church rocks yeah!!
    You know the Coptic Orthodox Church and the Greek Orthodox church are sister churches!

Quote Originally Posted by drnader View Post
    It is the book of "Acts" in the new testament. But I don't know where exactly, my mistake!
    and why bother ourselves so much about Mary's sexuality; isn't it just strange from your part as we never heard the word NUN before.
    Huh? I'm merely arguing against the notion that Mary was a virgin her entire life. It's bullshit and just an anti-sex crusade.

Well, we were a funny mix. I am a non believer but I am baptisted in the Norwegian Lutherian Church, he was an orthodox with a catholic father. My children is not baptised at all. It would have been a big fight between us. But my smallest one who is not his son has gone to the catholic school.

And since we have a state church all the children has to learn about Lutherian christianity in the kindergarden and school even if they have another religion and I think this country has the most non believers, about 90%. But still nearly everybody is baptized and married in the Norwegian church.

But I think religion of all kinds is interesting, I have muslim friends, sikh friends, buddist friends and christian friends. It sounds stupid but my hope is that all people can respect each other whatever religion they have got. But it is difficult these days because some of the christian religion and the muslim religion has got very extreme, in reallity the old testament is the same for both and the new testamant and the Koran is saying the same things.
    TH 12, 43 years post

some clarification about the Blessed Mother

Here are a few things the Catholic Church teaches about her (complete details can be found easily enough from catholic.com):

- it seems that the Aramaic word used in saying that we should *honor* our father and mother is also literally translated as to *glorify*

- we are called to imitate Christ, that is in both glorifying his father and his mother

- there is a clear distinction between glorifying the saints, our parents and so on, as against glorifying God: the latter is at the level of worship

- we do not give worship to the Blessed Mother because she is a creature, not God, but we glorify her for the marvels He had done for her and through her

- we never refer to Mary as being salvific in any way, because there is one redeemer, that is Christ

- we do teach that Mary can be a co-worker in God's salvific plan, in the same way as all the saints (canonized or in-the-making like us baptized Christians) work towards building up the kingdom of God, in different roles

- the Church teaches that when Christ told John "behold your mother", referring to Mary, Christ was giving her to all humanity as mother to all the faithful

- since our membership into God's household is by adoption, through Jesus Christ who is firstborn of the new creation, it is not a stretch to then consider that his mother has become our mother as well

- the Queen Mother was a distinct role of honor and advocacy (having the king's ear) that existed in David's/Solomon's days

- it is rather explicit in the New Testament in particular that the people of God is to become a family, a household, where people indeed have roles of seniority as servants of others; there should be nothing threatening about considering someone else as having authority over us, such as the Blessed Mother as mother and queen. St. Paul refers to himself as a spiritual father to the people he was writing an epistle to, and again, that is not elevating himself into a position of power or prestige, but one of love and service.

- whatever can be said about Mary is always a reference to Jesus Christ: she always points towards her Son -- if any apparition makes her out to be greater or equal to Christ, then that is suspect

- a poster earlier said that Mary was worthy of being an idol -- that is likely a problem with the English translation: she is not an idol of worship, but a model of imitation (the way St. Paul exhorted in his epistle to Timothy, I think)

More information about the Our Lady's role can be found in catholic.com. There's also a new trilogy of books by Mark Shea, "Mary, mother of the Son", that deals with Marian doctrines in depth.

Hope that helps.

WOW, there is some serious stuff
    VERY WELL SAID!