Thread: Help with hand controls.

Question Help with hand controls.

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew of some kind of assitance
    program to help with purchasing hand controls. I've been searching on google for awhile now, and have not come up with anything.

If anyone has any suggestions at all, I would be more than happy to hear them.

p.s If location makes a diffrence, I'm from Oregon.

Do you have a state vocational rehabilitation case open? Plans to attend school or return to work? Do those plans require you to drive? Is there no alternative public transportation? If so, then the Dept. of Vocational Rehab may pay for hand controls and other vehicle modifications, and may also pay for driver's training. Otherwise, you can try local service organizations such as Rotary or Optimists Clubs.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Do you have a state vocational rehabilitation case open? Plans to attend school or return to work? Do those plans require you to drive? Is there no alternative public transportation? If so, then the Dept. of Vocational Rehab may pay for hand controls and other vehicle modifications, and may also pay for driver's training. Otherwise, you can try local service organizations such as Rotary or Optimists Clubs.

(KLD)
    I was in rehab, but after a few weeks insurance would no longer pay for it. And yes, I do plan to attend school asap. Only problem is I live in a small town with no public transportation. I live with my parents, but we only have one car. I'm in the process of trying to save for a car myself, but also have to help the family out alot with bills, it's a pretty rough time right now. But long story short, yes I do plan on enrolling in a few classes at Chemeketa. How would I be able to get ahold of the dept. of vocational rehab?

Thanks for the fast reply by the way

Hand controls for a car are not real expensive. You can find them on eBay if you have to private pay. They are not likely to pay for the vehicle. You can put them on your parents car. AB people can learn to drive with them very easily.

Here is a link to your state's Department of Vocational Rehab. This is not the same as inpatient acute physical rehab, although your case manager there should have made sure you had a referral to them. You need to get an appointment at your closest office and ask to have a case manager or vocational rehab counselor assigned to you:

http://www.oregon.gov/DHS/vr/

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Howdy bud. You don't have to pay big bucks to drive. I made my own, less than a hundred bucks. All they are is length adjustable rods to push a pedal down. Not rocket science unless you get really fancy.

made another set for someone here.
    When my gf drives my car, she uses them and her dad says its easier than using his feet, lol.
    I've got pics somewhere if you are interested, let me know. I've used them on my conv. mustang, a 4wd Ranger and now my kia rio5.

There are a lot of things you will find cheaper by far to make yourself in the 'medical hardware industry'.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    Howdy bud. You don't have to pay big bucks to drive. I made my own, less than a hundred bucks. All they are is length adjustable rods to push a pedal down. Not rocket science unless you get really fancy.

made another set for someone here.
    When my gf drives my car, she uses them and her dad says its easier than using his feet, lol.
    I've got pics somewhere if you are interested, let me know. I've used them on my conv. mustang, a 4wd Ranger and now my kia rio5.

There are a lot of things you will find cheaper by far to make yourself in the 'medical hardware industry'.
    Sure, I'd love to see what they look like! I'm sure I could make something like that.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 12-20-2009 at 03:00 PM.