Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: avatar- better dead than paralyzed

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    Thanks for that wise, I'm honoured.

I saw it in 3d and Imax. It really is a game changer in terms of what can be done with CGI. I can only think of Star Wars and Fellowship of the Ring to compare it to in terms of whiz-bang wow factor. I was 5 when I saw Star Wars and read Lord of the Rings 5 times as a teen.

I saw a lot of other James Cameron movies in this, most notably Aliens with the military and their machines. The story, you know... it's James Cameron here, not Martin Scorcese. He's good at making 'epic' movies even if they are a tad facile. I'd heard some critic say the film dragged in the middle, but I loved it for the absolutely stunning STUNNING visuals.

Sam Worthington did a good job as a para... you can tell he spent a few months in a chair for the part. A few things nagged me... why aren't his legs properly positioned in his chair? They were always off to one side. Dude needs to see an OT stat! And why, 150 years in the future are they still using the same style of wheelchair frame? My new chair looks way cooler than that! And complaining about a cheap VA system that won't pay to make him walk again... I thought VA was the best down there? That being said, I shed a tear when he first went into his avatar and started jumping and running, excited he could walk again. And another tear each time he came back to his broken body.

Any sci-fi geek should love this movie. And I have no idea what the OP is talking about.
    Wow, what an explanation. I can't wait to see it. My older brother loooved it. Is seeing it in 3D distracting at all?

love the video leif

James Cameron makes a lot of films that I love. Of course, I love Titanic, but before that, he did that amazing action film True Lies and the mysterious The Abyss. He's an amazing director.

Interesting. I thought this was another 'blockbuster animation'.

Going to have to check this out. Thanks for the reviews. =)

Christopher's review is spot on, it truly is beautiful.

Also, if you get the chance, watch it in IMAX 3D - anything else would be like driving to the Grand Canyon and just looking at from inside your car.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

I went to see it again last night, only this time in 3d. The 3d version is well worth seeing over the 2d version, much better. I do see now what the original poster was refering to about the ending, it could easily be taken the wrong way. This movie is gonna win some awards for sure. The American military heads kinda reminded me of life under the G.W Bush administration, maybe G.W's great, great, great grandson was president in the year 2154. . The movie did really send out a message though that war is a really bad thing especially when its against innocent people over stupid reasons like a force of people just trying to enrich themselves. I noticed in the ending credits New Zealand played a large part in the making of this movie, most of the scenes were shot there. Anybody know what kind of wheelchair that was that jake had? I kept trying to figure it out. It definately had X core wheels. Was trying to figure out what kinda tires those were that they used in the year 2154 also.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 12-22-2009 at 04:19 AM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by kenzeezy View Post
    Wow, what an explanation. I can't wait to see it. My older brother loooved it. Is seeing it in 3D distracting at all?
    Actually for me I think it was a bit...

If I go see it again at the IMAX I don't know if I'll go see it in 3d, unless its all in 3d at the IMAX then I will!

I never watched a 3d moovie though so perhaps thats why it was distracting to me but I got use to it. At one point I pushed away the grass from my face and I felt like a tard hah
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

That was a cool effect in that the ashes from the fires felt like they were raining down inside the thearter. I wonder if the Aliens were a cross between giant Cats and humans? they kinda looked like Cat people? Maybe the Army guys shoulda just dropped a load of giant furballs and that woulda kept the natives occupied while they stole their precious metals Its no wonder Cory liked the movie so much, all those Cats
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Good pic of the wheelchair, same color as my GTX, the X cores look cool. Ya, I cant get this movie outta my mind, it was very cool. Anybody know what kind of chair this is? I cant figure it out and I thought I knew my chairs well. I may go to see this movie again tonight for the third time. Heck its free admission for gimps at Carmike Thearters.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

they should use marvel chair..
    http://www.facebook.com/ivicamaotze.rod