Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: handcycles-lets see what u got

that greenspeed is interesting - where are the shifters and brakes? and is there ever a problem if you bump into a wall or car or something... feet first?

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    that greenspeed is interesting - where are the shifters and brakes? and is there ever a problem if you bump into a wall or car or something... feet first?
    The shifter for the dearailleur (9speed) is on the crank, the shifter for the hub on the dual drive (3speed) is by the brake, which is just to the left of the seat and the shifter for the speed drive is in the middle of the crank. This gives 54 gears all together with a really wide range and less overlap than you get with a standard set up.
    I feel in less danger of damaging my legs on a tadpole set up than on a delta set up. You only crash in to a wall or car if you are out of control and compared to a Varna, which I have ridden extensivley, I feel much more in control. The greenspeed has a much tighter turning circle and is more responsive and stable during high speed turns so I feel safer.
    The only modification I have done is I fitted a derailluer with a shorter cage because with sixteen inch wheels this gives me more ground clearance in the lowest gear on uneven roads .

those shifters/brakes sound more than i could manage - but they will do custom mods, right? i dont honestly know that i could deal with much more than the 7 speed/coaster brake setup i have.....but i do prefer the positioning on the greenspeed

Quote Originally Posted by rcechser View Post
    Great pics people one thing I notice is nobody has there chair with them, do you not bring it with you when you go out for a ride?
    It depends for me. If I am riding on the trails...my chair is left in my car (we usually have someone there that can put it into the car for me once I am out of it and in my handcycle). When I have done rides with the MS society, they have a truck that my chair goes into and they bring it to the stopping point for the day so that I do not have to worry about it.

There is a way to bring your chair with you...bike-on has something that will attach to the end of your bike that you can put your chair on and bring it with you. The dimensions that are needed for it is very specific...so if you do not meet those, you are stuck.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

wheelie, i cant see your pic
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I'll have to have my caregiver snap some pictures of me on my handcycle. I have a Quickie Cyclone handcycle that attaches to my wheelchair.

Jessie
    (hereditary spastic paraparesis and L-4 SCI)

Adrian - I didn't realize that Greenspeed made a tadpole (rear wheel drive train) handcycle. It must really have a small turning radius and turn on a dime. What is the steering mechanism like? I think a schlumpf gear changer would be cool. Just the word schlumpf is cool. I know they add weight but it must be nice. Are those 16 inch or 18 inch wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Adrian - I didn't realize that Greenspeed made a tadpole (rear wheel drive train) handcycle. It must really have a small turning radius and turn on a dime. What is the steering mechanism like? I think a schlumpf gear changer would be cool. Just the word schlumpf is cool. I know they add weight but it must be nice. Are those 16 inch or 18 inch wheels?
    Until recently Greenspeed only made tadpole trikes.
    The steering is through a simple lever system opereated by turning the cranks form side to side in the same way as most handcycles. This can be seen on the picture of the Greenpeed tandem below, which is hand cranked at the front and foot cranked at the back. Karen, who is the paraplegic on this tandem took one of these machines accross the Karakoram highway. It is a heavy beast but it is very robust.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2523/...b22a7d.jpg?v=0

On my trike I have 16" wheels although the standard Greenspeed handcycle has 20" wheels. I got them to build a handcycle version of one of their more sporting standard leg powered recumbents. This means that the seat is more reclined than their standard handcycle, which means that I have to use shorter cranks to give them clearance room above my legs. However, I like shorter cranks because it is easer to get a higher cadence going than with the longer ones that seem to be standard on most handcycles. 16" wheels mean the trike is low to the ground but I am lucky enough to have good transfers and realise this is not an option for everyone.

The Schlumpf drives are excellent bits of kit and well worth the weight penalty. http://www.schlumpf.ch/schlumpf_engl.htm

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    wheelie, i cant see your pic
    I can send the attachment to you if you would like. Is everyone having issues seeing my pic?
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I will take some pictures of my bike as soon as I have a chance.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)