Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gelnique?

Gelnique?

Anybody tried Gelnique yet as a bladder med in place of oral meds? It is a gel that is rubbed on the skin everyday and suppose to reduce side effects. Its like Ditropan in a gel form. I think it was fairly recently FDA approved. My doc is giving me some samples today. I'll report back how it works. I'm tired of dry mouth and feeling fuzzy headed.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Well, first Dose today and no side effects so far, no dry mouth or fuzzy headed feeling. Bladder cap seems to be up ok also.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Curt, Remind me why you haven't pursued Botox injections.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Curt, Remind me why you haven't pursued Botox injections.
    Cant find a doctor to do it, every Urogist I've talked with knows nothing about botox. I had one Doc tell me it would not be covered under insurance even if he did do it as its an off use for Botox and not FDA approved.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Cant find a doctor to do it, every Urogist I've talked with knows nothing about botox. I had one Doc tell me it would not be covered under insurance even if he did do it as its an off use for Botox and not FDA approved.
    OK, but there clearly are urologists that are experienced with the procedure. My procedures have been done through a study I'm participating in, so no cost to me (actually, I get paid). However, several people here have succeeded in getting insurance coverage. At most, you would probably have to pay only for the Botox itself, not the physician services involved in administering it.

I was a slave to the wet whims of my bladder, which was arguably the worst part of my SCI (eventually you get used to not walking, but not peeing yourself). Botox has been my emancipation! I can't recommend it highly enough.

Thanks for the info Stephen, I'm going to keep trying to get it done, sounds like a good thing, I'm tired of all these crazy bladder meds which half the time dont work or have goofy side effects.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I would encourage you to get urodynamics repeated to be sure that this new medication is effectively managing any high pressures. There is no other way to know.

(KLD)

I was given samples by my urologist today. Just applied and am hoping I dont dry up like I have the last 3 weeks on Vesicare 10mg.....I hhave my fingers crossed but wondering how much it costs???

Not really sure about the costs but its probabley inline with the rest of the newer type meds and that would be around $120 to $150 per month. I'll find out when they write me a script for the med after my samples run out. I have enought for another 12 days.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I would encourage you to get urodynamics repeated to be sure that this new medication is effectively managing any high pressures. There is no other way to know.

(KLD)
    I'm sure my pressures are too high no matter what med I take. I have small spastic bladder and unless I cath once an hour (impractical) I'm going to have high pressures. I get a UTI about once ever couple of weeks. I really want to get another Sphincter operation done but cant find a doctor to do it. It seems like in this modern day and age of Laser instruments the only one is the size of a garden hose and that will not fit into my bladder. I should probabley put my engineering skills to good use and design a much more thin instrument. Seems like I have to do everything myself in this lifetime.

Its either that or get a SP tube done and thats starting to look very tempting, even if I die of bladder cancer in another 15 years its better than the quality of life I am currently living being sick all the time as long as I dont constantly get bladder infections for the next 15 years.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred