Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinal cord injury biographies

Spinal cord injury biographies

hello there,

can you please suggest biographies written from spinal cord survivors? And they don't need to be specially famous, normal life storie are OK.

I like this one specifically because it is about normal folk (not necessarily famous) who sustained SCI.

'From There To Here: Stories of Adjustment To Spinal Cord Injury'

You can buy it from New Mobility or even Amazon.

'From Here To There' is a good one, full of shorter stories.
    Also, 'Waking' by Matt Sanford, about his experience/journey.

Joni Eareckson Tada has a lot of good books.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...ie+er&aqi=g-s3

Check this link for a list. They can be borrowed from the library as well.

http://www.christopherreeve.org/atf/...ogs%207-08.PDF
    Every day I wake up is a good one

This book had a profound effect on me 8 years ago after my SCI. It is written by the Pulitzer Prize writer of primarily fiction but it is an autobiographical account of his paralysis from a spinal cord tumor and his difficulties with chronic pain. And his solutions and his recommendations for anyone finding themselves in this predicament. I read his list of what to do 15 times...
    Reynolds Price, A Whole New Life.

I can recommend these particularly:

Callahan, John. Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far on Foot. New York: Vintage Books, 1989.

Ellison, Brooke and Jean Ellison.
    Miracles Happen: One Mother, One Daughter, One Journey. New York: Hyperion, 2001.

Galli, Richard. Rescuing Jeffrey. Chapel Hill, NC: Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill, 2000.

Heagy, Ron with Donita Dyer
    . Life is an Attitude: A Tragedy Turns to Triumph. Sisters, Oregon: Multnomah Publishers, 1997.

Hockenberry, John. Moving Violations: A Memoir. New York: Hyperion, 1995.

Karp, Gary and Stanley D. Klein, Ph.D.
    From There to Here: Stories of Adjustment to Spinal Cord Injury. Horsham, PA: No Limits Communications, 2004.

Kovic, Ron.
    Born on the Fourth of July. New York: Pocket Books, 1976.

Rucker, Allen. The Best Seat in the House: How I Woke Up One Tuesday and Was Paralyzed for Life. Harper Collins, 2007.

Valens, E.G. The Long Way Up: The Story of Jill Kinmont. Harper Collins, 1966.

Valens, E.G. The Other Side of the Mountain, Part II. Warner Books, 1978.

(KLD)

Another vote for From There To Here from me. It's very good. I got my copy from good old ebay.

One of the guys in it had his injury from the exact same thing as me. I was amazed.

When it comes to these types of books I love Ebay and Barnes and Noble
    A while back I seen a movie well bio flik on television called the Worlds strongest woman she is inspiring I think her name is Rose .
    I'll look for these insirational books soon , but in the mean time i've been writing my own book so far 3 years in the works and it takes alot to keep these things going .
    Being I really want to go in a spectrum of neurology I am trying to work with my Dr's on collaborating about Neuro spinal related topics .
    These projects take alot of time and dedication .
    I havent titled it yet but it is going to be one of my dreams to finish it sometime soon .
    The way I write starts out on a small dictaphone device I owned for many years .
    My friend Janus is a excellent proof reader and I am working so hard on this book .She is my sounding board I guess you call it .
    Sorry about my sloppy typing I truly appologize .
    Last edited by GL; 12-19-2009 at 06:40 AM. Reason: clean up