Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raw milk, nectar of the Gods...

we grew up on fresh milk we had guersey cows hmm cream so thick you had to spoon it off

nothing like peach fresh picked and and cream oh except tons of fats lol

we made our own butter which is so easy

Quote Originally Posted by Rick1 View Post
    Raw milk is legally sold in California. I buy and drink it regularly.
    Organic Pastures
    http://www.organicpastures.com

Weston A. Price Foundation
    http://www.westonaprice.org
    I stand corrected. It can be legally sold in CA and possible some other states under certain conditions.

http://www.usnews.com/health/family-...dangerous.html
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

it is legal to sell raw milk here in Pennsylvania with a raw milk permit. The permit requires the dairy farmer to meet all the conditions of USDA Grade A standards plus more frequent milk testing. The milk is also tested annually for disease organisms associated with raw milk.

My wife and I are dairy farmers. We don't sell raw milk but have always drank it and used it to make butter. We have many friends who have raw milk permits. for all of them, the added income is critical to their financial survival.
    I worry that the recent flurry of interest in raw milk will ultimately backfire on them if someone gets sick. Problem is the person doesn't actually have to get sick from the milk. As soon as authorities hear that a person with Campylobacter jejuni has had contact with raw milk, the shit hits the fan. And those raw milk enthusiasts that were before willing to sign petitions and buy "cow shares" now are getting all lawyered up.

My advice to consumers interested in raw milk is to;
    find a farmer that is willing to post the results of his milk tests and inspections. All milk is not created equal. One of the downsides of modern milk processing has been the decrease in milk quality because pasteurization and ultra pasteurization mask its inherent deficiencies. I would be looking for milk that had less than 250,000 SSC (somatic cell count), low bacteria counts and coliform <10. I would also be interested in having the cows tested for tuberculosis and brucellosis. Testing for disease organisms in the milk is a bit of a crapshoot since cows can intermittently shed them, but it is probably still worthwhile as a tool for monitoring overall herd health.

I would be interested in buying milk from a farmer that had a realistic view of the potential danger in raw milk and a plan for maximizing its quality. I would avoid farmers that shrug off the need for monitoring quality because they are "grass fed, organic, hand milked, amish" or whatever other practice they might have.
    ALL FOOD has a risk for causing disease! thousands of people get sick every year from foodborne illnesses. I think raw milk can be consumed with a reasonable margin of safety and I think there are differences between it and its processed forms that make that risk worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I worry that the recent flurry of interest in raw milk will ultimately backfire on them if someone gets sick. Problem is the person doesn't actually have to get sick from the milk. As soon as authorities hear that a person with Campylobacter jejuni has had contact with raw milk, the shit hits the fan. And those raw milk enthusiasts that were before willing to sign petitions and buy "cow shares" now are getting all lawyered up.
    You are on target, Wesley. The CDC has expressed concern that the number of illnesses traced to unpasteurized dairy products is growing as consumption increases. They reported finding more than 800 cases since the late 1990s.

Louis Pasteur's simple process is estimated to have saved millions of lives, especially those of children, over the decades. We know from other areas, produce farming for instance, that one rodent shitting in a lettuce field can make many people very ill.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Having grown up on a dairy farm, I know how good it is. However, I also know the disease risks involved and stick to the pasteurized stuff.
    Oh...EVERYONE agrees the milk coming out of industrial age dairy farms NEEDS to be pasteurized. The real question is, why are there pathogens in and around the cows to begin with?

The quality of milk coming out of dairy farms starting in the mid-1800's DEMANDED the pasteurization process, and still does to this day. NO arguments there. I grew up with a 50,000 "roaster" chicken farm in the family and I won't eat store bought chicken to this day.

It all boils down to how it was produced, handled and packaged. The health of the cows, how they're confined, what they are fed, and the method used to collect and transport the milk all contribute to the safety and nutritative value of the product.

Ultimately you have to make a call for yourself. I get to see my cow every week, talk to the vet that sees him every month, and see any test results and cultures growing that I want to. I know where my food is coming from, soup to nuts. When it comes to feeding myself and my family, and you and yours, my advice is to question everything.

Here's a test for you:

Buy a half gallon of milk from the store and a half gallon of raw milk. Put them in the back of your fridge. Come back 4-5 weeks later. Which will make you sick and which is still good for you? Pasteurized milk goes rancid with harmful bacteria. Raw milk goes sour with lactic-acid, a natural anti-biotic, and in some ways is BETTER for you even though it tastes like shit.

There is PLENTY of evidence of the benefits of raw milk from healthy cows and the unintended side-effects of pasteurization (i.e. denaturing of the proteins which are so good for us).

Don't drink the kool-aid.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    So, the wife and I were touring the local farm scene, purchasing crop shares for next spring, and she decided to purchase a couple of monthly cow shares, for 1.5 gallons of raw milk (from pastured cows), per week.
    Man I read that "from pasteurized cows" and thought, yes that makes sense, instead of pasteurizing all the milk from the cow, just pasteurize the cow and kill all the germs at the source. Save time and money.

LOL I read it that way too for a sec.

I used to help my aunt every summer go out each morning and milk the cows
    yep, good stuff
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I hope no one tries to take away my raw milk (bought from a local farm). It's funny that it's called "raw," which makes it sounds kind of exotic... when really, it's just milk from the cow! I visited the farm to see if I trusted the folks and their sanitary procedures. It seems obvious to me that this is a much more healthy food than milk that has been heated and treated. Pasteurized milk makes me congested (and who knows what other invisible problems), while "raw" milk, especially made into kefir, agrees with me completely. And I agree with DaleB completely.