Thread: Water works on paralysis

Water works on paralysis

Water works on paralysis

Published: December 14th, 2009 | Source: tennessean.com | Leave a Comment
    MTSU research brings amazing results

As miracles go, it’s not quite walking on water. But for paralyzed volunteers taking part in an MTSU study, walking in water is almost as amazing.

For the past eight weeks, university researchers have placed people with crippling spinal cord injuries on underwater treadmills — with impressive results.

“I’ve been able to lift my right leg,” said Janette Rodgers, a 52-year-old grandmother from Murfreesboro whose neck was crushed in a car accident in 2007. After four weeks in the study, “I’m walking faster. I used to walk like I was somebody in their 80s.”

Three times a week, volunteer James Harris wheels his chair up to a water-filled tank fitted with an underwater treadmill and maneuvers inside.

As his feet touch bottom, an underwater treadmill kicks into gear and suddenly Harris — who hasn’t been able to will his feet to move since an accident that severed his spine — is walking.

read...

http://www.thescizone.com/news/9763/...s-on-paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    Water works on paralysis

Published: December 14th, 2009 | Source: tennessean.com | Leave a Comment
    MTSU research brings amazing results

As miracles go, it’s not quite walking on water. But for paralyzed volunteers taking part in an MTSU study, walking in water is almost as amazing.

For the past eight weeks, university researchers have placed people with crippling spinal cord injuries on underwater treadmills — with impressive results.

“I’ve been able to lift my right leg,” said Janette Rodgers, a 52-year-old grandmother from Murfreesboro whose neck was crushed in a car accident in 2007. After four weeks in the study, “I’m walking faster. I used to walk like I was somebody in their 80s.”

Three times a week, volunteer James Harris wheels his chair up to a water-filled tank fitted with an underwater treadmill and maneuvers inside.

As his feet touch bottom, an underwater treadmill kicks into gear and suddenly Harris — who hasn’t been able to will his feet to move since an accident that severed his spine — is walking.

read...

http://www.thescizone.com/news/9763/...s-on-paralysis
    chris reeves was/t he able to move in the WATER