Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L1 incomplete Injury

L1 incomplete Injury

Hey All,

Came across this site via the net - realised Im not the only SCI victim out there. I was injured in a heli crash on the 4 July 2008 - chasing suspects and flew into power lines resulting in my crash. Its been a rough year but have had good progress - Quads = 5/5 hamstrings = 3/5 calves = 2/5 Gluts = 3/5. Toes are moving and can do toe raises although weak. I have both B&B fuctions - no spasms and no pain.

I walk with crutches but hopefully will be off these things soon. It has just been a very very slow process.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and say hellooooooooooo to yo`all.
    Stay frosty
    Carl

Welcome to CareCure! As we often say, we are sorry you had to find us, but glad that you did.

It sounds like your injury was pretty incomplete and you are having significant recovery. This is great. How is your sexual functioning, if I may ask? Are you working with a therapist on an ongoing basis to maximize your return?

(KLD)

my urologist recommends that anyone with any slight nerve damage to the penis nerves to take an ed drug as a way to prevent more damage, he said gotta keep that blood flow to prevent more damage.

i hate them damn power lines , really complicate a crash or a bad jump
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Welcome to CareCure! As we often say, we are sorry you had to find us, but glad that you did.

It sounds like your injury was pretty incomplete and you are having significant recovery. This is great. How is your sexual functioning, if I may ask? Are you working with a therapist on an ongoing basis to maximize your return?

(KLD)
    Thanks for the reply KDL - Did you mean working with a therapist to regain my sexual function or overall recovery? My Bad!! My sexual function is fine except that I do not experience an orgasm as I did prior to the injury - Its kinda there but not as intense as it was.

I do attend a outpatients rehab once or twice a week and the other days Im in the gym swimming and weight training. Normal day in the gym invloves cycling 45 min - leg press - hamstrings curls (I can only do 1 plate resistance for hamstring curls and manage to go down about half the way down otherwise I cant get it back up). Squats are getting stronger nowadays - my knees dont buckle inward any more. I also try and use the ski-machine as much as possible.

Can a person ever over-exercise?

Forgot - my dorsi-flex on the left foot (1/5) is starting to work but nothing on the right foot!! Weird or what?? Will it get stronger?
    Last edited by CarlBarnardo; 12-16-2009 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    my urologist recommends that anyone with any slight nerve damage to the penis nerves to take an ed drug as a way to prevent more damage, he said gotta keep that blood flow to prevent more damage.

i hate them damn power lines , really complicate a crash or a bad jump
    Hey Mike - Thanks for the reply - I agree, them damn power lines should be underground!! My blood flow is pretty good down there but will mention what you said to my Doc.

Stay frosty
    Last edited by CarlBarnardo; 12-16-2009 at 05:03 AM.

Banned

L1-L2 Incomplete - Looking for More help

Hi,
    I was injured on August 29, 2009 in a horse riding accident in Florida. I am back in Southern California now. This is for the L1-L2 Incompletes out there. Its been 4 months now. I am standing with braces on the parallel bars although not taking the full impact. The popular question, when could I expect bladder and bowel control? I am self cath now.
    Also, I am looking for a Standing Frame (used) and inexpensive.

I remain with pain in my back, buttocks and legs (spasm). Should I expect to deal with pain the rest of my life?

Thanks for listening,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRealEstate View Post
    Hi,
    I was injured on August 29, 2009 in a horse riding accident in Florida. I am back in Southern California now. This is for the L1-L2 Incompletes out there. Its been 4 months now. I am standing with braces on the parallel bars although not taking the full impact. The popular question, when could I expect bladder and bowel control? I am self cath now.
    Also, I am looking for a Standing Frame (used) and inexpensive.

I remain with pain in my back, buttocks and legs (spasm). Should I expect to deal with pain the rest of my life?

Thanks for listening,
    John
    Hey John, so sorry to hear about your accident - you are at the right place to get all the information you require - with my injury I was very fortunate to get so much back. I wish I could help with the questions you have - keep watching this thread - I`m sure you will get many others who have had similar injuries with similar symptoms. Keep working hard at rehab my friend. Stay frosty

John,

I am an L1 incomplete 2.5 years post. Every injury is so different that no one can tell you with any certainty what recovery that you can expect.

As to the pain question, I had pain from the surgery that persisted for 2 years. It is pretty well gone now and I do not experience daily pain but again, that is probably just luck on my part.

As to the bowel and bladder, it is my understanding that these are the least likely to recover areas for SCI injuries. But again, everyone is different.

Starting at about 9 months, I regained the sensation of full bladder. Still no functional recovery for the flaccid bladder. However, within about a year, you should have your b&b program well under control and with any luck, it should not affect your daily routines rather or not you experience full recovery.

Good Luck

Welcome to CC...Sounds like your doing great with your recovery! Glad you found CC, your going to love all the support and knowledge!

Sounds like you are doing well.

John Real Estate -- you might consider holding off on the standing frame since you can already stand in the parallel bars with leg braces. My son is an L1 burst fracture who also was able to stand in the parallel bars. He was able to progress to standing with a walker in front of a bed or couch (in case he fell - which he didn't). A walker is a whole heck of a lot cheaper than a standing frame. Plus, it built his confidence.
    He's about 3 years out now and is able to walk with AFOs and forearm crutches around the house -- he uses a chair when out and about for the most part. You're still a pretty new injury, I would hold off on getting expensive equipment until you're sure you are going to need it long term.
    Best wishes.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt