Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speakerphone Modem

Speakerphone Modem

Has anybody managed to set their computer up to act as a speakerphone?

My Dell Dimension desktop came with a speakerphone modem that never worked. I tried replacing it with a Modem Blaster speakerphone modem, and that didn't work either. I've tried connecting the modems to my sound card's TAD input and I've tried connecting a microphone and speakers directly to the modem. Still, no speakerphone.

Any tips or hardware recommendations would be appreciated. I just want a way to answer my phone when I forget to put my cordless handset nearby and I can't get to the speakerphone on the base.

Thanks.

Just to be clear, you can use your Dell Dimension to dial out along with taking incoming phone calls using your wireless headset.

PN

Speakerphone modems I am aware of require the microphone and speaker to be plugged directly into the modem. If that's not the case (which you noted in your post), are you behind a firewall? Are the phone lines connected correctly (line in/line out)? Does the computer believe your modem is working properly (check through the control panel)?

Like Paul mentioned, check to see if you are able to make a call/receive a call. Check to see if both are working; don't assume if one works, both do.

Hope this helps narrow things.

-Lewis

Originally posted by Paul Nussbaum:

Just to be clear, you can use your Dell Dimension to dial out along with taking incoming phone calls using your wireless headset.

PN
    Paul, I believe you misread "handset" for "headset".

-Lewis

Originally posted by Lewis:

Paul, I believe you misread "handset" for "headset".
    -Lewis
    Yes.

PN

Squeakywheel:
    To the first part of your question: I have set up my Dell computer to work as a speakerphone. If I recall correctly, I first started using an external microphone and the audio came out of the speakers. I purchased Polycoms' Via Video for video conferencing and I now use a headset. In the software set up there are options for speakers along with external microphone, speakers with headset, and headset without external speakers. However, this is Voice Over IP and it uses the IP addresses instead of phone numbers, and Ethernet cable in place of phone wire.
    With your hardware you should be able to talk hands-free through an optional microphone and speakers. Have you downloaded the latest drivers? Maybe you need to consider an external soundcard. "Your computer case has a lot of radio frequency interference caused by components such as the hard drive, power supply, and so on. This can cause audio interference with internal audio cards that you can hear through your computer speakers.
    External audio devices usually have shielding that protects from interference. The result is a cleaner sound. They also come with more connectors than internal cards."
    Just to be clear, your Dell computer has never worked as a speaker phone.

PN

I've downloaded drivers, checked connections, made sure the device's are working properly and gone through everything else that usually works when installing new hardware.

The closest I've come to getting it working was plugging the mic and speakers directly into the modem. But the echo was horrendous and it sounded like a conversation through aluminum foil. On top of that, I could only dial out and couldn't answer incoming calls.

I thought about trying a USB external modem. Any recommendations? What about a phone that's integrated with the PC?

Thanks.

I think that the USB external modem would be better because of the many connections that they offer. As far as brands, U.S. Robotics would be high on my list. Let me think about this little more. One of our members may have a good recommendation on this issue.

PN

Originally posted by squeakywheel:

But the echo was horrendous and it sounded like a conversation through aluminum foil.
    I'm puzzled

-Lewis

squeakywheel,

When you listen to a music CD or the radio through your Dell Computer, how is the quality of the audio coming through the speakers? Can you plug the microphone into the sound card? If your sound card has both a microphone and line input, make sure you know the difference.

PN

[This message was edited by Paul Nussbaum on 04-06-04 at 01:38 AM.]