Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZRA with Efix

ZRA with Efix

I've been using my ZRA with Efix for a few days now and love it! Thanks so much to my DME TD Medical! Yes, there are some good ones

I purchased a demo 16" wide ZRA on Ebay, dropped it off at TD, they ordered all needed parts such as J3 back, push handles, custom foot plate, chair tweeking....They brought it to me last week and it nearly did not fit through my front door. I have French doors that each door is fairly narrow for wheelchairs. Luckily my top DME guy, Dave, thought to cut axle. He did this and now it fits perfectly.

I got in it, was a bit jerky with control, felt awkward, my feet felt way too tucked since i'm used to old school chair foot rests and new chair is 2" shorter than previous ones. I had them switch foot plate around, not so nice looking but practical for me for now til possibly I adjust more.

I've since been playing with the control program to perfect it, avoid jerkiness (easy to do with included key).

I'm so happy to not be using my jumbo power chair! I fit under tables at home and out much better too.
    Only drawback I notice so far is, obviously the ride is bumpier without power chair wheels. I wonder if frog legs would help?
    "The sweet is not as sweet without the bitter"
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Lorrie, am happy you like your new zra but whats Efix? Can you post some pics?

Thanks!
    Here is site info, i'll try to get pics soon.
    http://www.frankmobility.com/e-fix.php
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Thanks Lorrie for the link. Is it hard to push when not activated?

Yes, for me. The battery pack and wheels add weight but the wheel hub has a 0 or 1 option,,,you turn it if able, it goes in to manual mode.
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

So is this a rigid chair you have the Efix system on? I've seen this on fold-able chairs - for the purpose of it being easy to transport etc.

Thanks.

Yes, I'm using a tilite ZRA I bought on Ebay but I wouldn't recommend it unless you buy a chair with the reinforced frame as suggested. I'm now needing the coaxle replaced due to wear on the placement screws. My great DME guy Dave from TD Medical reinforced it for me temporarily til I can switch it out.
    The Efix system is so sophisticated it gives you warnings when certain things are glitching. It will flash a code to diagnose the problem. I was problem free for over 3 yrs but then minor issue with right wheel which my guy resolved
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Thats brill, so it's effectively like emotion wheels but controlled from a joystick?

It's such a better option than a bulky power chair as you said.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Exactly! I also have a zra with emotions which my insurance paid 80% but I'm not totally independent with it :/ (c5/6). I used a manual for years then bulky power chair when I got my license again. Hated the big bulky power chair. Love my zra w efix ( i purchased on my own) but next one will be with reinforced frame!

ETA: My bf from UK borrowed my chair while she was visiting and absolutely loved it. Her chair got crushed in transit from UK to Miami :/
    Last edited by Lorrie; 05-21-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    ~"Vanilla Sky"~

Thanks for the reply. So what do you mean by a "reinforced frame."

Are you referring to a piece that can be added on, or a completely different chair that has the reinforcement built into it? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorrie View Post
    Yes, I'm using a tilite ZRA I bought on Ebay but I wouldn't recommend it unless you buy a chair with the reinforced frame as suggested. I'm now needing the coaxle replaced due to wear on the placement screws. My great DME guy Dave from TD Medical reinforced it for me temporarily til I can switch it out.
    The Efix system is so sophisticated it gives you warnings when certain things are glitching. It will flash a code to diagnose the problem. I was problem free for over 3 yrs but then minor issue with right wheel which my guy resolved