Thread: Fingers Vs. Legs

Fingers Vs. Legs

We are almost four months post C4 injury. Functioning some below the injury with wrists. I'm wondering....is it possible to get leg movement before finger movement or would finger movement come before legs? I know there are no hard and fast rules in this stuff but I thought I would ask you all anyway.

Different for all people Domo. I know a few quads who can walk with no finger movement at all and visa-versa.

You are less than 4 months in. Now is the time to really start working your butt off to maximize your potential. Push hard to get strong, the rest will follow. Good luck.

If you get return, it is highly individual. Those who have incomplete injuries and have a central cord type injury would be most likely to get lower extremities back earliest and best. Most other people get return in the segments just below their level of injury first. Has the injured person had any return to date?

(KLD)

"Different for all people Domo."

Darn, I had a feeling that was going to be the answer. She told me on the way to school today that she just wants her fingers back and is pretty resigned that leg return is unlikely. Great way to start a Monday...I could hardly see the road after hearing that.

Yes, she has gotten return below the site of injury. Both wrists are working with the left side stronger and there is a trace of tricep. Biceps are super strong.

Mike Utley, The Pro NFL Football player told me he worked on his hands and fingers for two years straight before getting real return. He started by having a piece of paper placed on a table in front ofhim. He placed his hand on the paper and tried to crunch it up. It took months of him just looking at the paper and trying to move it. Slowly and with much determinaton and visualization, He had sme success then more success.

His hands are not what he wants them to be yet but he has progressed a long ways. He can crumple the piece of paper now and is independent. It takes work and more work to make progress. Its not what we do in OT or PT, it's what we do between sessions and after they kick us out saying thats all you gonna get.

I've been in a chair for 36 years. I am still making progress. Its not that I am getting return. Rather, its that I'm finally making progress with those minute muscles and core muscles that I couldn't work before I had the equipment and trainer I have now.

Four months is really very little time as far as healing goes. I know of one elderly gentleman who could only raise his left arm when I first met him. nine months later, and his continual Marine type workouts, things started working for him. He is C5/6. 7 years later, he can stand, walk in the pool and is completley independent at age 78. He still works out like there is no tomorrow.

ther are a lot of exciting new things coming down the pike. FES stimulation is really beneficial for both hands and legs. I ride an fes bike twice a week for an hour each time. I find it astonishing at how much my lower back has gained. I am a T6/7. Since riding the bike I have better feeling down to L1 or2 and can come up on my own from a leaning over position. Something I couldn't do without using my arms before.

Stay positive, keep looking at alternatives and find a way to maximize her potential.

It's no fun right now, it will get better. We are here for you, Patrick

I have a central cord injury. I can walk and never lost bowel/bladder function, but my balance is affected. I have strong triceps and good hands, but no biceps or deltoids.

When I was first injured, my hands and wrists did not function well, but they came back within weeks.

Now THAT is worth looking into getting fixed. THere are a number of ways to restore those functions to some degree.