Thread: New Here

New Here

Hi
    My name is David and I am new here and I am now 7 months post. I have been around the site for some time and this is a great site, thank you creating this site. I was wondering how long does it take to do things naturally, for example when starting to drive a stick car you think of stepping on the gas, releasing the clutch etc. then after a while you do it without thinking. When does the same happens when life after SCI? I some mornings wake up and see the chair and realises, that I am paralyzed. Still have to think a lot of the things I need to do such as pickup my legs move this here, it does not happen naturally, does it ever?
    Thanks again for this site it’s brilliant.
    David

Yes it will come naturally over time, like second nature. I've been in chair 19 1/2years. Have anymore questions please ask.
    HAVE A BLESSED DAY !!!

Hi David,

Sorry we meet under these circumstances but glad you found a good place for resources and to find others with similar circumstances.

You didn't mention what level at which you are operating. That will make a difference in the answer to some of your questions.

As a para myself, I found that it takes a bit of time before things start coming by second nature. At first I was very focused on HOW to accomplish a task, and then how to do it easier. Finally it's second nature.

Of course things are a bit different for almost everyone here.

Thanks for the welcome

I am a T6 Complete. Unfortunatly I crushed my shoulder and elbow as well so i have limited movement and strenght in my right arm and shoulder but i am working on it to improve it.

Welcome David. You're doing well for only 7 months post. It'll come around. I hope to see you posting here when you have any questions. Take care friend.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Welcome David,
    I think to a large extent, the time it takes to relearn activities depends on the severity of the change.
    I was right handed, but can't really use my right side anymore. After maybe 6 mo's it started being more normal. Writing lefty took longer.
    One warning I would have is that it's helpful to retry old behaviors sometimes. For example, I could not lift my right hand up over my head for a couple years, but then one day I 'accidentally' tried to push an elevator button with my right hand, and I was able to do it. So even if you get comfortable with what you're capable of, keep trying the 'impossible' from time to time, just in case.
    Take care..
    -Dusty

---C5-incomplete "walking quad", Dec.28,2005---

Quote Originally Posted by davidpar View Post
    Thanks for the welcome

I am a T6 Complete. Unfortunatly I crushed my shoulder and elbow as well so i have limited movement and strenght in my right arm and shoulder but i am working on it to improve it.
    Hello and welcome.

I'm guessing if you are T6 and in the UK, it's not long since you got out of rehab?

To answer your question, like others have said stuff does become second nature. I grab my legs all the time. I do it automatically, but it crosses my mind quite often that I shouldn't have to. I never think I can walk or forget I need the chair.

Hello and welcome. Keep up the good work, no giving up.

- K
    C5 Burst Fracture - Motorcycle - June 21st, 2009 - Father's Day.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=124135

Hi Dave, and Welcome!!!

Yes everything will become like second nature, i don't even think about it, i just get up shower, get dressed, than get up for the day, it just become routine. For how long it takes, well it depends on the person, i never thought about it from day one, but thats mostly because my mind didn't want to process it. But everything take time, and you will get into a routine before you know it.
    'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin

Welcome David
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.