Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm in the local paper!

Quote Originally Posted by smirking1 View Post
    i am less concerned with getting in to a bar than i am off having a direct shot to an accessible pisser when i get there. not too hard to rally a few drunken 20 somethings to show off their strenght and kindness in front of a pack of drunken hussies......that is just me, that is how i roll
    Yeah i am the same way if it's got stairs, it got stairs. There's no point letting it stop you, let them lift you up and have fun, but it's got to have a accessible toilet or at least have carpet and poor lighting.
    But given a choice i would rather have a place that i can get into by myself and have a w/c toilet and what it really comes down to is having that choice.
    'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin

When I was younger, getting into where the fun was happening was my only concern. I would crawl up steps dragging my wheelchair behind me if that is what it took to be with my friends. Fast forward to the present. I'm over that. The ADA is the law. It's time that establishments stop treating it as if it was merely a set of suggestions. There is no party fun enough that I'm going to be carried into a place that should have been made accessible decades ago. There have been many renovations to the country club in the 19 years since the passage of the ADA.

Without people advocating for the rights of people with disabilities, PWD would still be called "shut-ins". Knock down a barrier today.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Update: Private membership clubs aren't covered by ADA. But when they rent their facilities to non-members they become subject to the ADA Title III requirements.

I filed a formal complaint with my City Code Compliance Supervisor. She will do a site inspection this afternoon, and she is alerting the building department to also inspect the building this week.
    Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Like Foolish Old, my clubbing days are over. These days I get choked when I go into a coffee shop and all the tables are those skyhigh café tables. No tables are accessible, but they always have an accessible washroom!

Good work Kiran. Love to see British Colombians carrying on the tradition of demanding accessibility.

good job!!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

To be clear, I still like and go to clubs, bars. parties and other social gathering. It's having to go to extraordinary means just to enter that I am unwilling to accept. The Country Club is a place where a lot of civic and business networking happens. It needs to be accessible to everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Like Foolish Old, my clubbing days are over. These days I get choked when I go into a coffee shop and all the tables are those skyhigh café tables. No tables are accessible, but they always have an accessible washroom!

Good work Kiran. Love to see British Colombians carrying on the tradition of demanding accessibility.
    Foolish

Good job on raising awareness
    Thanks for sharing! Its always exciting to see your name in the paper!

Good job! Most people really just don't think or understand the issues some people face on a daily basis. Things they take for granted.

and you look fine in the pic!

bill

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Like Foolish Old, my clubbing days are over.
    FO never said his clubbing days were over, he just wasn't going to drag himself up the stairs or be carried up any longer. My guess is that his clubbing days will NEVER end

Great work Kiran!
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    To be clear, I still like and go to clubs, bars. parties and other social gathering. It's having to go to extraordinary means just to enter that I am unwilling to accept. The Country Club is a place where a lot of civic and business networking happens. It needs to be accessible to everyone.
    my mistake. Projecting my dislike for noisy venues on others.

I completely agree with your opinion on the Country Club. It shows how much they value their own membership who end up using wheelchairs.