Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm in the local paper!

I'm in the local paper!

Sorry, I don't mean to brag, but I'm glad I stepped up and raised the issue of accessibility in our city. It was spitting rain during the photoshoot, so I'm looking like a drowned rat, but that's besides the point.

Last edited by KiranA; 12-16-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Hell, why not brag? Good for you Kiran - hope good things come from it!

P.S. - 'drowned rat' - only if you insist -- but you look like a hot drowned rat...

Nice piece Kiran. Very nice bit of advocacy. Be proud of yourself.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

I've added your photo to my stalk pile.

Nicely done!

My son was also in the paper recently:
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...86/detail.html

good stuff!
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

This is so timely Kiran. Last night I went to a staff Christmas party thrown by the local elementary school. It was held at the Country Club at the golf course. We drove up the driveway and found two well marked handicapped parking spaces at the entrance. The front entrance had a flight of steps and no ramp. There was no signage for an accessible entrance, so I looked around one side while my date looked around the other side. We met back in front and each reported that we had found no accessible entrance. My date went inside to ask the location of the accessible entrance. All she got was an apology that they did not have one and an offer to have me carried up the steps. She knows me well enough to know that wasn't going to work for me. She was angry with the club for not having access. She was angry at herself for assuming the club would be accessible. We left and had a nice time at other establishments, but we certainly were overdressed in those shorts and tee shirt places.

Today, the school principal called to apologize. She said that she never dreamed that there wouldn't be wheelchair access in a country club in the year 2009. She was mortified.

I've got a little research to do. The country club is private, but the facility was rented. Not sure exactly what their legal obligation is to conform with ADA, but I suspect they are not in compliance. Either way, I'm going to help them accelerate their future plans for wheelchair access. I'm guessing I can persuade them to make it a high priority.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Good advocacy work, Kiran. You should be proud!

I got my picture in the paper too (below)

But seriously good job on getting the issue(s) out there, if more people had more guts like you two,(myself included), and used the media to speak up there would be a lot more changes made. But it still sucks we have to go to that extreme to make things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by P.S. - 'drowned rat' - only if you insist -- but you look like a [I
    hot[/I] drowned rat...
    Amen

BTW I'm the one near the center with black hair.
    'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_wheels View Post
    I got my picture in the paper too (below)

But seriously good job on getting the issue(s) out there, if more people had more guts like you two,(myself included), and used the media to speak up there would be a lot more changes made. But it still sucks we have to go to that extreme to make things happen.

Amen

BTW I'm the one near the center with black hair.
    hot wheels.....friggin awesome with the "i am the one near the center...." i am less concerned with getting in to a bar than i am off having a direct shot to an accessible pisser when i get there. not too hard to rally a few drunken 20 somethings to show off their strenght and kindness in front of a pack of drunken hussies......that is just me, that is how i roll