Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
Results 151 to 156 of 156

Thread: What do you say?

  1. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    The Bible does say we will judged according to our works. This alone should tell anyone that heaven and hell don't exist as separate distinct planes because rewards and punishments will be varied. How is someone going to enjoy a reward in Hell? Or how will someone be punished (receive lashes as Jesus says) in Heaven?
    I'm asking for specific references to crowns and credits in the after life. I just wonder where it says it in the Bible. I'm okay if someone wants to believe that. If it is a specific denomination thinking that and not reading it from the Bible, but from another book, okay. Just wondering where it is.

    The only crown references I can find relate to Jesus and also, to gray hair being a crown. I've not found crowns and credits in the Bible for individuals post mortem even when searching Google. It does not mean it does not exist. I'm just wanting to know where to find it.

    All the things about a third heaven, etc. are generally human references to various interpretations of the Bible. I've yet to see a third heaven discussed as such other than by certain ministers pushing the idea.

    Thanks for the input, Todd.

  2. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    I'm asking for specific references to crowns and credits in the after life. I just wonder where it says it in the Bible. I'm okay if someone wants to believe that. If it is a specific denomination thinking that and not reading it from the Bible, but from another book, okay. Just wondering where it is.
    LMAO! I googled "Bible crowns" just to see what would come up:
    http://www.g-m-a-g.com/message5.htm

    I hope you have five heads in the hereafter, ME.


  3. #153
    Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    Thanks alot Scott. I believe I will give that place a try one day. I love the fact that they sing newer, upbeat music too, I do like Spirit fm some days.

    So, one question though. Do these churchs tend to be light casual? I don't want the uptight, stuffiness of the suit & tie crowd. I've seen so many people be put down & gossiped about because of what they wore.
    It'd be worth checking out. I honestly don't know anything about them aside that they're part of the A29 network, but I do know that the network supports each other and there is a lot of similarity between churches. We went to one in Charlottesville and felt very comfortable with the one down here in Winston.

    re: dress: just wear whatever you're comfortable in. If you're rejected because of clothing, find a different church. It's not a bad idea to clean up and shower though.

    re: Spirit FM: honestly, there's a lot of lame [mainstream] Christian music out there. I have a difficult time listening to some of those stations for too long.

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    Apparently, I am a member of a congregation similar to that attended by Scott and his wife. While we do not meet in a pub, the service is contemporary and pretty non-intimidating. People are accepted for how they are, where they are.

    I hope Scott will not mind me sharing this, but seeing how he lives his life is one of the things which nudged me toward my own search for greater meaning spiritually. I am far from perfect, as evidenced in this thread and elsewhere in my life, but I am slowly, very slowly, finding my way.


    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    It must be frightening to be a born-again Christian ... worrying that everything you're doing or not doing will make you go to hell.

    I can't imagine living like that.
    That's not Christianity. Christianity is based on the gospel, which recognizes that there's nothing we can do to be acceptable to God without Jesus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
    I'm not the lest bit scared of going to Hell because I'm going to Heaven.

    When I had backslide I wasn't scared either because I wasn't thinking about it. Evident because if I was I wouldn't be sinning.
    You can't flip the sin/no-sin switch on & off Mona. Don't leave Jesus out of the picture.

    Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I trust and can rely on science.
    Trust/reliance on science can co-exist w/ faith in God. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by -scott-; 12-21-2009 at 10:22 AM.

  4. #154
    Right back atcha, Scott.

    Shannon, if you find a congregation in which you feel uncomfortable, keep looking. There are others which are likely a better fit.

    Scott wrote of wearing whatever it is that you are comfortable wearing. Ditto for my tribe. Jeans, khakis, even shorts in the very hot weather are all okay. Dresses are great if that's how you roll, too. It's not about what you wear or don't, but that you are there and a part of.

    .
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    Trust/reliance on science can co-exist w/ faith in God. Just sayin'.
    Ditto. Faith in God and acceptance of science can be quite compatible. It is we who are lacking in the understanding of science, not the Creator. The Big Bang may be the method by which this planet and life were formed. It does not mean that is not how it began.

  5. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    LMAO! I googled "Bible crowns" just to see what would come up:
    http://www.g-m-a-g.com/message5.htm

    I hope you have five heads in the hereafter, ME.
    Where do you find these things? LOL

    I hope I don't have five heads, but that's just me. Talk about having bad hair days.

  6. #156
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,878
    I hear you Scott & ME. I believe that way too. I myself don't go far in the way of "dressing up". I just always hated hearing gossip about the poor, unkept person on the back pew. It wasn't great that he came in what he had but rather,"did you see how he came to church"? Although I wouldn't be subjected to that, that isn't a place I want to be, well people I want to be around. I know God won't judge that way but I hate the hypocrisy aspect which is one main reason I got the heck out of church to begin with. However, I do think the fact that most of my experiences were in a sanction that wasn't a right fit for me is why I have the biterness in the first place but that opens up more worms so I'll stop here. But get me?

    Scott, notice I said sometimes listen to Spirit, many times the stuff is painful to listen to. lol. To me, hymns are too. That's why the thought of new-age music attracts me. Personally, I'd love there to be a Christian rock/metal type station. I love me some Skillet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •