Thread: computer shuts off, while on Internet

computer shuts off, while on Internet

Does anyone have a suggestion? My computer shuts off randomly, while I am on the internet,but that is the only time I am on the computer, also. Did it twice now this weekend, but has done it a few times also in last couple months. Screen goes black, then blue screen with red letters 'Out of Range' appear, and computer shuts off. Then starts up again, but now the internet is off of course, and I must start over again. Had a computer person look at it, and she could not find anything wrong, and it never shut off on her. I am computer DUMB, so any responses would be greatly appreciated, in simple terms.Thanks.
    chris B.

It sounds like you are experiencing the dreaded BSOD: Blue Screen Of Death. If you could write down the precise error message and post it, it would be of help diagnosing your problem.

-Steven
    "Sometimes, its enough to plant the seed, walk away, and let the flower grow on its own."

What kind of operating system do you have?

Also, go to your display settings under control panel. What is your resolution and refresh rate set to?

-Lewis

As Steven says, see if you can write down the message on the blue screen, other questions are these:

Is this a new or old system?
    If new, likely a memory issue, have you installed new memory lately?
    In any case you should get a memory test program to check for errors.

Get microsoft's memory test here:
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

If old, could be a number of things gone bad (try memtest for this also),
    CPU is most likely due to heat.
    Memory next for same reason.
    Outside chance its the motherboard, controller chip.

In any case, running the memtest should force the out-of-range error, so your computer person will then 'see' the error happen. The codes on the blue screen will narrow down which sub-system has gone bad. Because you say 'random' I'm assuming its not software, make sure this is not happening at a specific site or page, etc. If its really random, its probably hardware.

[This message was edited by Aquitaine on 03-22-04 at 09:18 PM.]

I am a little confused. It seems to me that this problem happens when you are on the Internet. What happens if you use the computer and you are not on the Internet?

PN

10 to 1 it's your video card.

Originally posted by mattblan:

10 to 1 it's your video card.
    Either that or the monitor. I've never seen a windows error that is blue with red letters, that sounds like your monitors OSD telling you the refresh is out of range or something.

Your video card could be going out and sending bad signals to your monitor, or your monitor could be going out. Try a different monitor first, if it still does it replace the video card.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Chris B.
    Order you a new Dell they have some great deal's going an right now and you won't regret it I've had mine about 8 month's and do not have even 1 complaint with it you can n get one for about $400- right now

T-12 incomplete 10-3-02

Whoa, thanks for all the replies. It just shut off again on me, but no blue screen this time, just shut off and reboots. I only am ever on the computer if i am on the internet, so can't say if it would do it otherwise. The monitor is about 3 yrs. old, but the computer was bought in dec.2003. it is AMD Athlon(tm) XP2400+ 2.00 GHz 256 RAM. Will call me computer person again, and give her all your suggestions, as i clicked on that memory test from microsoft, and that is way over my head. will let you know what the problem was when we get it fixed. you guys are all so smart. thanks.
    chris B.