Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neuropathic/Central Pain

Neuropathic/Central Pain

Can anyone suggest good understandable articles/information on neuropathic/central pain? It is hard to cope with every single day, so I guess I should understand it better. Everything I read is so technical my mind turns off after a few paragraphs. I would appreciate any suggestions and thanks.

Are you looking for information on the cause of the pain, or treatment options?

I saw dejerine's post since I asked the question, so maybe it has the answers. I guess I don't know enough biology to ever get it. I'd like to undersand the things that make it get very hard to take, besides stress and fatigue. I have a lot of confidence in my pain management doctor and see her next week. Maybe the best I can do is ask her to increase my meds. Thanks for responding to me.

I would love to have that same information! Trying to explain your pain is mission impossible. Try this link:

http://www.neuropathy.org/site/PageS...About_Symptoms

Dejerine is a genius. I think we all read the Dejerine posts 10 times, and still don't get it all.

I'm very glad you have a good pain doctor. If you pain is still too much for you, I certainly hope she will do something to help.

I recently found a website that I think is a good writeup on pain management. It is not specifically for neuropathic pain, but rather for cancer pain. However, cancer pain can be neuropathic - plus, mangement of chronic pain is approached basically the same as cancer pain. There are some other treatments not mentioned in there as well, but imo it's a pretty good discussion.

See if this helps any

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/MIT/co...r_Families.asp

Of course, ignore the parts specifically about cancer, chemo etc. - they do not apply to you. (oh dear, I seemed to have turned purple - ah well)

I'm sorry, I don't entirely understand what you're getting at in your last post - are you looking or the mechanism of how neuropathic pain works? Or what effects it has on you?

We'll be happy to help, if we can.

Quote Originally Posted by VavaBoomer View Post
    I would love to have that same information! Trying to explain your pain is mission impossible. Try this link:

http://www.neuropathy.org/site/PageS...About_Symptoms
    Ah, that's a good site too.

It's more talking about problems in the extremities though, but it certainly has some good stuff.

I must be being a bit dumb today (too much Christmas already I think) because I'm not doing a good job at figuring out exactly what the question is (my bad).

Here's a article posted some years ago on the forum on neuropathic pain - does this help?

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=22603

Thanks for the responses. The two shorter articles are good and understandable. I'll have to read the Cancer article tomorrow. Christmas party wore me out. TAM63, I don't mean to be confusing and thanks for going out of your way to help. Good to know I'm not the only one not quick enough to get degerene's post the first time.

Oh, please don't apologize - maybe it was just me anyway. Glad if any of it helped.

I love Dejerine's posts - especially every fifth word that I actually understand lol. Seriously, they are very educational, but also very scientific.

That Cancer pain managemet atricle is very good in explaining pain management, and it's one to read more than once and keep for reference. I was very lucky in getting funtion back, but the 24/7 pain is something that is wearing me down and making me lose some function. I guess I'm just searching for the best way to manage the pain through medications and lifestyle while still actually having a life. Probably the same thing everyone else is looking for. Thanks!