Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: overweight ppl on airplanes

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello View Post
    Did you request to be accomodated in first class for coach price due to your pain? Did you have documentation from a physician stating that a larger seat would be a reasonable accomodation due to your disability? If you did request this and the airline turned down your request, what was their stated reason? Sorry...but I didn't get any connection between your flight to Australia and the original post in this thread.
    yes to all the above. pain is an invisible disability. i tried to handle it by flying to hawaii (5 hrs), resting in hotel for 12 hrs., then flying 14 to sydney. was in bad shape when i got there. they refused to acknowledge my pain. but no picture will show that and i cannot fly to aussie, europe, etc. unless i can pay. compared to that, 2 coach seats seem easy. 1st class is thousands. i don't think the two situations are so different.

the point in my thread here was where do we draw the line w/regards to disability. it wasn't to bash overweight ppl. it was to ask where we are in proactive in communication. nobody should be in the situation pictured. frankly, i don't believe he was ignorant of the seat size (read his response, it's obvious). one needs to communicate with the airlines, not show up and say, hey accommodate me, what's wrong w/you? frankly, i have no sympathy for this guy. he did it on purpose (read his rebuttal).

so, because of this crap, the rest of us are bashed, e.g. somebody quoted wheelchair bashing.

to me, it's a total lack of communiucation. and yeah, believe it or not, a safety issue. airliners do operate within a weight/balance issue w/regard to cg. this is impacted by baggage weight, location and pass weight. this is a safety issue.

i did not mean to initiate pages of discussion on weight.
    Last edited by cass; 12-15-2009 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    The word disabled is so overused that it has lost all meaning ... Disabled means nothing ... I am paralyzed.
    I agree and disagree with your 2 points. Addiction is a very real disease and is classified as such by the American and Canadian medical societies. I saw David struggle with Alcoholism for several years and can confirm such. When he went to rehab, he spent 8hrs/day in 'school' learning how his brain reacted to alcohol and craved it. He spent the evenings at AA meetings. I remember reading that only 5% stay sober throughout their lifetime, even after sobering up in a professional rehab program ... that's scary.

On the disabled label - you're exactly right! And this is why we don't see movement in legislation ... everyone is claiming disabled! That is exactly the problem!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post

(read his rebuttal).
    Where did you find that? I would like to read it.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423 View Post
    Where did you find that? I would like to read it.
    sorry, thought first link had it. here it is, scroll down. he says he flies frequently. i've also read the middle guy was bumped from flight to make room. obviously, i wasn't there so can't verify these things. anyway. not really about just this individual.

http://travel.aol.com/travel-ideas/a...avdynlprim0709
    Last edited by cass; 12-15-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks,

Along with people's comments, the link Cass posted above also ;osted the way various airline handle the situation. I think whoever wrote this one must be missing something,

US Airways
    Charging a customer for two seats is a last resort for US Airways. The carrier first tries to accommodate the passenger by relocating them near an empty seat. If no empty seats exist on the flight, they offer to rebook them on a later flight that has open seats available, free of charge. If none of these are options, only then does the carrier require passengers to buy two tickets.
    How can they buy two tickets, as a last resort, which was that there were no extra seats in the first place??
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

good point. another thing that disturbed me was the comment about putting children next to the passengers in question. in an accident, this is a bad idea.

btw, somebody put the blame on design engineers. that is totally misguided. the airlines control their options for pax config.
    Last edited by cass; 12-16-2009 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    good point. another thing that disturbed me was the comment about putting children next to the passengers in question. in an accident, this is a bad idea.
    What bothered me about that, was if they were moved, did that mean they were not sitting w. their parents? I wouldn;t agree to that!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005