Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: overweight ppl on airplanes

overweight ppl on airplanes

this pic says it all. the guy is violating 2 FAA rules: blocking the aisle and no seat restraint. i doubt this plane ever got off the ground w/this pass creating a safety hazard.

and yeah, they make bigger seats on many airlines. it's called first class.

not even going into weight/balance issues.

http://www.gadling.com/2009/12/10/sh...rline-tickets/

I understand what you are saying, Cass, but it is a slippery slope when you start deciding who can travel on a plane. No one wants to get squished, but every one has te same right to travel..or don't they? No one wants to be inconvienced , but that could extend to disabled folks just as easily.

I agree that obesity is a serious problem in the U.S., but unfortunately it has become almost the norm.

I used to travel some, and being 6'4" and 190, it was never what I would call comfortable flying. Of course airlines have to make a profit, but they pack you in those planes like cattle in an 18 wheeler.
    Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

did you look at the pic? the guy is 450 lbs and blocking the aisle.

airplanes are designed for pass 190-200. FAA rules govern blocking the aisles, wearing seatbelts, who can sit in an exit row. plain facts.

Yes Cass, I looked at the picture. Did not any of the personel at the airline see him? Do you really believe that any of the staff would allow the plane to take off like that?

What would you have him do? Not travel? I'm not being a smart ass here...I just don't know what the answer is to a problem that is becoming more common.
    Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

He should be allowed to travel just like anyone else. To expect him to pay extra because of his size is grounds for a human rights violation. Cass, you would hate it if someone treated you differently because of a physical quality, so why treat others in the same manner?

I'm trying to figure out why is is apparently so much taller than everyone else. Like - a foot and a half. OK, because his buttocks are bigger, that'd add some. But he actually looks out of proportion to the rest of the people. My first thought was, are we sure the photo is real? Perhaps so, just wondering...

I guess my other thought is - each person pays for the seat they occupy. If you are going to occupy two seats, you probably need to pay for them. Not take some of the guy's next to you. Or pay for a bigger seat.

Second is the potential safety issue. Dunno about that one. I can see some truth in the comments on the article by flight attendants etc. But the odds are pretty low of a crash, and to deny him travel at all doesn't necessarily seem fair.

But I'd say he needs to pay extra - either for two seats, or first class or something. He's taking extra - he should pay for it.

I don't agree.

US Airways didn't want me to travel in the summer because I was alone and in a wheel chair, they said I had to pay for an extra ticket because of security of American airlines. I needed an AB person beside me who could take care of me if something happened. Do you think that is ok, too?
    TH 12, 43 years post

I don't see how they are related honestly.

Maybe I am confused - they said you had to bring an extra person with you, which you were not planning on? I would find that ridiculous.

I agree with Tam, if you are taking up 2 seats you should have to pay for them. I flew to California on a full plane next to a guy that was about 1/3 into my seat. it was a horrible experience but there was no where else to seat me. It may be inconvienent for the airline to seat me but at least I am not inconviencing another passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why is is apparently so much taller than everyone else. Like - a foot and a half. OK, because his buttocks are bigger, that'd add some. But he actually looks out of proportion to the rest of the people. My first thought was, are we sure the photo is real? Perhaps so, just wondering...

My guess is he's sitting on the immovable armrest.

He definitely looks like a two-tripper to me. We know the airlines pack us in like cattle, so doubt they will ever have bariatric seating, he needs 2 tickets.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"