Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My options for my new chair

This is what i like more of the GTM`s, you don`t have to choose any measurement, you write the measurement that you want.

I think the real choice is between the X and the Helium. I tired them both side-by-side and as I've said in other posts the X is amazingly light - you'd be like rolling on air, great for the nice smooth sea promenades in Spain but for the rough cobbled streets here I was worried I would cause some serious damage to it. Plus (and again as discussed) I was worried the back upholstery would stretch and sag like their other chairs.

The Helium, whilst being a heavier than the X (and being a bloody Quickie) had some nice design features like rounded corners so that it doesn't damage your car seats. At the end of the day it was a toss-up between this and TiLite so I choose the Helium and of course the M1.

For me think the X would make a great 2nd, 'errr 3rd chair but not so sure an everyday one.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelboy View Post
    I have very bad experiance with a kuschall airlite .i had 7 frameparts bend boults that were loosen ore broken down .for me never a kuschall .but that gtm looks real good specially the leather upholsery wow .and if its made in poland probely not that expencive .
    but than again what is important the looks ore how it sits rides and is it trustwourthy.
    when i got my kuschall 4 years ago it was my first wc .i had no idea on how and what i only looked how good it looked .when i got it after a few weeks it begun i always felt a backsling in my back .than after few months i sat on the cord that lets your back down .than frameparts bend boulds loosen ore broke off (no iam not that heavy 180 lbs)
    in total i had 7 bend frameparts 2 frontwheels broken of .boult under seat loosen and broke in 2 backsupport renewed .

what i trie to say here is goodlooking ok .but better is if its sits good rides good and no problems with it in the future
    when i had a fitting 3 weeks ago (my second is next wednesday) i allready knew the chair i wanted to have all te pros and conns about it .

i did some reading here on this forum .i aked few team members of my basketball team that had a tlite zr ore zra what their experiance was .id even borrowed one when i went to the fitting .

there are some really nice ultra lightweight chairs on the market .that really look good .but how good are they when you jump of a sidewalk on the street ore go back up a sidewalk .and last but not least whats the price .if seen prices that seems that these chairs are made of gold
    i hear ya on the Kuschall's. my 3 year old Airlite Pro has its third frame and second seat frame module. nice standard features, very light weight but sucks when it comes to durability. very poor grade bolts and allen heads would strip when tighten up, had to re-bolt the entire chair. i heard this became a problem when Invacare took over the Kuschalls. light weight isnt always good. i would rather give up a few lbs for durability any day. a good chair for a 160-180lb. non active user or house chair only.

whahaha lol maby you get seasick in it .and look at the front wheels they look like garbage can wheels .and yes bob here 2 rahter few lbs more and not having any problem than an ultra lightweight chair that bends when you jump of a sidewalk .

i had so many problems with the kuschall that i bought a secondhand tlite zr as a spare one .to give you an idea in one year the kuschal was 4 mnts away back to invacare for repair .lucky that i got ride of it .last fitting they wanted to give me a kuschall again .i told them i rather buy one myselve as sitting in a kuschall again .now they have orderd a topend crossfire titanium .and next wednesday i get a fitting for a tlite zr for my work .
    btw the pic of me is with my old kuschall
    Last edited by wheelboy; 12-11-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Panthera X isn't sold in USA is it? Toto you seem really fixated on the weight of a chair. A couple of things I am concerned about with the light open frame chairs is flex and eventual failure of the frame and if it is adjustable, the quality of the bolts they use.

My last three chairs were L frames (open Framed), Two Titanuum Crossfires and a recent ZRA. There is just too much flex for my liking, worse than the old aluminum Kushalls when they first came out. I'm going back to a more less flexible, lighter in weight TR or Terminator. Probably a TR in that the design has changed in the last year. I also like the full frame in that I can mount my scissor brakes on the lower rail

If the Panthera X was offered in the US I would seriously consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Panthera X isn't sold in USA is it? Toto you seem really fixated on the weight of a chair. A couple of things I am concerned about with the light open frame chairs is flex and eventual failure of the frame and if it is adjustable, the quality of the bolts they use.

My last three chairs were L frames (open Framed), Two Titanuum Crossfires and a recent ZRA. There is just too much flex for my liking, worse than the old aluminum Kushalls when they first came out. I'm going back to a more less flexible, lighter in weight TR or Terminator. Probably a TR in that the design has changed in the last year. I also like the full frame in that I can mount my scissor brakes on the lower rail

Clearly some people are much harder on their chairs than I am. I can't speak to the quality of the Crossfires or ZRa, but my ZRc shows every likelihood of outlasting me -- the frame, anyway. I think I'd really have to deliberately bludgeon the thing to damage it. As for frame flex, if it's present (and I suppose it must be) I don't perceive it. And why are using scissor brakes when you should be using hub locks? I mean seriously, man??

steve, did you get your marvel yet
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

i hear ya patrick, dont know if ill ever try a L frame again. kuschall did have nice brakes i must say, spring loaded swing away scissor brakes. they would easily mount on any TiLite and or other scissor brake adaptable chair.

Stephen are you referring to the hubbed discs that have holes for a pin to go thru? I have a few sets of wheels with those attached that a friend gave me. Never tried them.

I did look at the D's disc brake system. Really like them but will wait a few months after I get my new chair and then look at them more closely.

I like the scissor brake in that they fold away from the wheel. I push with my palms on the wheel and fingers overlapping the pushrim. I can get a longer stroke on the wheel with scissors without jamming the thumbs between the brake and tire.

I had one of the first Kushalls and Quadra ridgid playing ball in British Columbia. They were considered the lightest chairs then at close 40 lbs.

Anyone remember putting camber blocks between the crossmembers of the old E&J's or Stainless chairs for sports. When a person folded the chair up it usually fell apart because the down tube rails would come out due to the camber. The back and seat sling would also sag due to the smaller width of the top frame. They weighed over 50 lbs. back then and if a person put on the smaller bb caster, it added another 7lbs. Sure different now.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 12-11-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Stephen are you referring to the hubbed discs that have holes for a pin to go thru? I have a few sets of wheels with those attached. Never tried them.
    Yup. How'd you wind up with wheels with the discs?

I like the scissor brake in that they fold away from the wheel. I push with my palms on the wheel and fingers overlapping the pushrim. I can get a longer stroke on the wheel with scissors without jamming the thumbs between the brake and tire.
    My activator body (the lever for the locking hub) is completely concealed under my seat pan, so there's no possibility of thumb jamming.