Thread: New SCI, No Rehab

New SCI, No Rehab

DEC 17 WILL BE EXACTLY 8 MONTHS AFTER MY INJURY. I AM A C1 IMCOMPLETE QUADRIPLEGIC. MY INJURY WAS DUE TO A BULLETWOUND TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY NECK. AT THIS POINT I AM ABLE TO LIFT MY ELBOWS. PULL MY ARMS INWARDS BUT NOW OUTWARDS. BUT NOT ENTIRELY MY SHOULDERS.I AM ABLE TO PICK UP MY LEFT LEG AND ABLE TO PUSH VERY HARD WITH BOTH LEGS.ALSO WHEN LAYING DOWN I CAN PICK UP MY WAIST FOR 30 SEC OR MORE.I HAVE SENSATION ALL OVER MY BODY STILL. AT THIS POINT I AM STILL NOT ABLE TO CONTROL ENTIRELY MY NECK.IT WONT TURN TO THE RIGHT SIDE.
    : WILL I NEED OF SURGERY TO REPAIR MY NECK?
    I HAVE NOT ATTENDED A REHAB CENTER SO ALL MY REHAB IS CURRENTLY DONE AT HOME WITH THE HELP OF MY BRO AND MOM AND ELASTIC BANDS. I AM ALSO CURRENTLY ATTENDING PHYSICAL THERAPHY 5 TIMES A WEEK. WHERE I PERFORM VARIOUS EXCERSICES SUCH AS CRUNCHES LEG RAISES AND OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY FOR MY ARMS, I CAN NOW MOVE 3 FINGERS ON MY LEFT HAND, AND VARIOUS TOES.
    I FEEL LIKE I CAN TAKE A FEW STEPS WITH HELP(ALTHOUGH I KNOW IT IS IMPOSSIBLE AT THIS POINT) MY BROTHER SUGGESTS THAT I START WALKING ON A TREADMILL WITH THE HELP OF A HARNESS?
    HOW EFFECTIVE AND SAFE IS THAT?
    SHOULD I GO INTO A REHABILITAION CENTER NOW OR CONTINUE THERAPY AT HOME UNTIL I SEE FURTHER IMPROVEMENT?
    HOW EFFECTIVE ARE THE TENS UNITS.ELECTRO THERAPY?

:
    :

Eddie, welcome to CareCure! It would be very helpful if you could complete your User Profile. Where do you live? Why did you not get sent to a SCI rehabilitation center when you were first injured?

From your description it sounds like you may have a Brown-Sequard incomplete injury. You are stronger on your left than on your right, correct? Do you have better sensation on your right than your left? What is happening with your bowel and bladder function?

TENS is used for pain management. Do you have serious neuropathic pain? This is pretty common with gunshot wounds. What are you doing for it now?

Electrical stim can be helpful in strengthening muscles that are still too weak to tolerate resistive exercises, and can help to maintain muscle bulk in muscles that are still paralyzed.

I certainly think that working with a specialty SCI rehabilitation program, either as an inpatient or outpatient would be helpful. If you can afford it, you might also look into one of the post-acute intensive exercise programs that you can read about in our Exercise & Recovery forum.

If you can find out where you live and your circumstances as above, we can help you with more suggestions.

(PS: if you can avoid typing all in caps, that would also be helpful. On the internet, that is considered shouting, and it is difficult to read. Thanks.)

(KLD)