Thread: Midwheel vs Rearwheel in a Minivan

Midwheel vs Rearwheel in a Minivan

Can you tell me whether you use a midwheel or rearwheel drive in your minivan and how it is set up? What type of powerchair do you use?

For example, do you drive from the chair or transfer to the swivel seat. If the swivel seat is present is the passenger seat present too and does this still allow you to be able to turn your chair around adequately and get into the van's captain seat?

The chair I wanted to get I found out I can't. I'm looking at two midwheels (Quickie Pulse and Jazzy 600) and a rearwheel (Quickie p222). I personally like the look of the p222 best but I'm worried the 25" turning radius will be a problem. The midwheels have around a 20" and 22" turning radius.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Blog Entries
    I use a Quantum 600 [MWD]. It's much more maneuverable than my old RWD Arrow.

In my PM to you I mentioned taking up some of the floor space with a manual chair there "just in case" of an emergency. Without that chair on the floor there would be room to bring the drivers seat all the way back on the track with no problems. I always enter the van backwards and exit forwards so that I do not have to turn around in the van itself. My powerchair is more than powerful enough to do this even though my kneeling feature in the van died last year and now it stays at the regular height without the hydraulic lowering.

Hi November,

I have a Quickie p222 and am able to enter and exit my Dodge Grand Caravcan with no difficullties. Drive in 90 degree turn into ez lock. Back out 90 degree turn out door down ramp.

i hadnt really noticed my p222 has a turning radius of 25" - i do 3 point turns everywhere, so from my point of view sitting in it, it seems to turn on a dime.

Hi,

I use an Invacare TDX MWD in a Toyota Sienna. I transfer to the 6 way power transfer seat. No problem with the passenger seat geting in the way.

I leave the driver seat sideways, facing the passenger seat, and I move the driver seat all the way forward when turning around.

I go in forward, once I am in I turn to my right, so I am facing forward with my feet between the front seats, I then back up untill I hit the wall below the rear seat and park the chair there.

I then move the driver seat back untill it's right up against my chair and adjust the height so it's the same as the powerchair and transfer.

Go forward a bit, turn facing forward, lower down and go

Thanx for all the replies. I now understand how people get in and transfer better. With my manual I have the driver's seat all the way back and turned at a diagonal usually not fully facing the ramp door. I then transfer kinda sideways into the van seat and over my manual chairs tires/corner of my cushion.

If I set my manual chair right next to the drivers seat like you all do with a powerchair, I would have to transfer directly over tires. I guess that's why I do it how I do and it makes for limited turning space between the ramp door, passenger seat, and back seats. Don't know if any of that makes sense!
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Can drive wheels be replaced for different ones as long as they are the same size?

Quickie uses a plastic cheap hub on a lot of their chairs, but I've seen what looks like aluminum mag wheels on other chairs.

Nov,

I do the same thing when I use my manual chair as I do with the powerchair, both facing forward. I don't think I could transfer over the wheels of the manual chair I have to turn my body a little and transfer off the front.

But we all gotta do what works for us......

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    If I set my manual chair right next to the drivers seat like you all do with a powerchair, I would have to transfer directly over tires. I guess that's why I do it how I do and it makes for limited turning space between the ramp door, passenger seat, and back seats. Don't know if any of that makes sense!