Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just burned myself, what now?

I just burned myself, what now?

I just spilled a good bit of boiling water onto my bare legs. It seems to be starting to blister now, what do I do?

Do I need to keep the burned area covered?

Should I avoid getting it wet, or make sure and keep it clean by washing it?

Run cold water on it.

Ok, I found some online stuff about burn first aid.

As an SCI, when should I be worried or what extra do I need to think about that I am not thinking about?

thanks dylan

Don't pop any blisters - they're nature's sterile bandages. Keep it clean but don't rub it. Protect it from getting rubbed or bumped - that would normally hurt like blazes but you don't have that "advantage" reminding you to take it easy.

If the skin falls off and is draining, you should probably go to the burn unit. 15 years ago I burned myself with boiling water and I spasmed so bad I could barely push my wc, I ended up going to the burn unit and getting skin grafts (not the same day but a few days after burning myself). I think its still wise to see a doctor you don't want it to get infected.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    If the skin falls off and is draining, you should probably go to the burn unit. 15 years ago I burned myself with boiling water and I spasmed so bad I could barely push my wc, I ended up going to the burn unit and getting skin grafts (not the same day but a few days after burning myself). I think its still wise to see a doctor you don't want it to get infected.

Ouch!!!

I don't think that mine is quite that bad.

Lots of the red has gone away now, and it looks like probably only around 3 square inches will blister up.

But it sounds a lot like I don't do anything different just because I can't feel, just run to the doc if it gets ugly, right?

my daughter once burned her leg with boiling water.. i kept covering it with manuka honey and a very light loose bandage and gave her pain killers.It healed really quickly and she never ended up with any scar.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Ouch!!!

I don't think that mine is quite that bad.

Lots of the red has gone away now, and it looks like probably only around 3 square inches will blister up.

But it sounds a lot like I don't do anything different just because I can't feel, just run to the doc if it gets ugly, right?
    Thats good, if you have some silvadene cream put some on your burn and keep covered. I use the silvadene on small burns and within a few weeks the burn heals up with hardly any scarring.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    Thats good, if you have some silvadene cream put some on your burn and keep covered. I use the silvadene on small burns and within a few weeks the burn heals up with hardly any scarring.

Not very concerned about scarring, but I have no idea what silvadene is. I've got some triple antibiotic ointment, should I use that?

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Not very concerned about scarring, but I have no idea what silvadene is. I've got some triple antibiotic ointment, should I use that?
    yeah that'll work just make sure you keep it covered and if it starts to look funky see a doctor.