Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change Front End Angle from 60 Degrees to 80?

Change Front End Angle from 60 Degrees to 80?

I currently have a 60 degree front frame angle on my chair. I'd like to tuck my feet under more and go with a 70 or 80 degree angle with my next chair. Pressure mapping indicates my seating position is perfect for me. Two questions; 1. If I go from 60 degrees to 70 or 80 will it effect the pressure on my ischiums? 2. If I go from 60 degrees to 70 or 80 so my feet will be tucked under me more will my feet be closer to the ground so I have to make the STF (seat to floor) height higher in the front of my chair? My heels are currently only about 1/2" off the ground. Thanks.

I can't answer your questions ... but I would never go back to a 70 degree chair. I'm in an 85 degree front V & rigid frame and am loving it! This is the chair that I should have had more than ten years ago.

The lightness has truly made a huge impact on my life too.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

[QUOTE=smokey;1130950]I currently have a 60 degree front frame angle on my chair. I'd like to tuck my feet under more and go with a 70 or 80 degree angle with my next chair. Pressure mapping indicates my seating position is perfect for me. Two questions; 1. If I go from 60 degrees to 70 or 80 will it effect the pressure on my ischiums?

*ischiatic pressures won't change if your thighs will rest on the cushion the same way they rest now (it depends on footrest height).
    With more bent knees ITs could be less strained, due to less hamstring tension on them (hamstrings pull the ITs)

2. If I go from 60 degrees to 70 or 80 so my feet will be tucked under me more will my feet be closer to the ground so I have to make the STF (seat to floor) height higher in the front of my chair? My heels are currently only about 1/2" off the ground.

*Yes.
    A word about leg swelling and knee/ankle angles. The more the knees are bent, the more the ankles are bent: this asks for a good venous return, with minimal or no swelling. If the feet are swollen, keeping ankles bent upwards can cause skin lesions.

I would be careful with this. Having your feet tucked that far under you does put extra stress on your circulatory system, and you would have to raise your footpedals to take the extra pressure off the front of your thighs. I know everyone thinks the more tuck the cooler it looks, but there is a trade-off in this. If you want to go from 60 to 70 that is probably reasonable, but see what that is like before you go all the way to 80-90 degrees.

I'm aware of the circulation issues that may arise from tucking my feet in a bit more but I think most people have a 70-90 degree front frame angle. I will probably only go to a 70 degree chair from my current 60 degree. I would like to know if my feet will almost touch the floor unless I increase the seat-to-floor distance in the front of the chair. Right now my STF is 19 1/2" in the front and 16" in the back for a 3 1/2" dump. I also don't want to make the STF so high in the front and back such that the whole frame is so high I feel like I'm sitting on top of my wheelchair instead of sitting IN it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    I'm aware of the circulation issues that may arise from tucking my feet in a bit more but I think most people have a 70-90 degree front frame angle. I will probably only go to a 70 degree chair from my current 60 degree. I would like to know if my feet will almost touch the floor unless I increase the seat-to-floor distance in the front of the chair. Right now my STF is 19 1/2" in the front and 16" in the back for a 3 1/2" dump. I also don't want to make the STF so high in the front and back such that the whole frame is so high I feel like I'm sitting on top of my wheelchair instead of sitting IN it. Thanks.
    With your chair's current configuration, would your feet touch the ground if you slide them back off the footrest?

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I can't answer your questions ... but I would never go back to a 70 degree chair. I'm in an 85 degree front V & rigid frame and am loving it! This is the chair that I should have had more than ten years ago.

The lightness has truly made a huge impact on my life too.
    x2.
    smokey, lyn is spot on. having your feet back under you is so much better. shorter chair means way smaller turning radius, less weight. im 6'2 an run 85 w/ a 16 deep chair, i love it. very comfortable too
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Forget going for a 70º, go for 85º-90º the chair will be much agile and turn better.

The pic is a 90º front angle, and the guy is near the perfect position as the photo of a guide on wheelchairs.

And depending on the tastes of each, you can go for a shorter frames to save space in the turns, but your legs in theory would not be in the correct position, but i don`t think that would be a problem.
    Last edited by totoL1; 12-07-2009 at 05:38 AM.

Here is another option, this is me trying a demo of an ultralight chair, the frame depht is an inch little for me, but is not a problem because this chair have 75º front angle, you can see my legs in the perfect position in theory, but my ankles are in a forced position and that could cause ankles problems inchazon.

So in theory you have to find a position like me but with less degrees in your footrest
    Last edited by totoL1; 12-07-2009 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    With your chair's current configuration, would your feet touch the ground if you slide them back off the footrest?
    Well....just about touching the floor after a minute or two but my thighs are really squishing down against my cushion. But I also put a 1" thick book on the floor and about 2" in back of where my feet are normally positioned on the footrests to simulate a 70 or 80 degree front frame angle.....my thighs still seem to be supported by the cushion and there doesn't appear to be any significant change in my balance and my thighs still seem to be parallel to the floor.