Thread: Access to PC

Access to PC

Hi Everyone,
    I would like to set up a system where my brother can use his pc independently. My brother SCI level is C4 and therefore he is not able to use his hands. Therefore we would like to buy a head mouse and keyboard working on monitor (not physical keyboard). Here in our country (Turkey) computer companies do not know much about these kind of systems.

Would you please help me in the following issues;

1. As I said before I could not buy these products from Turkey therefore I have to order these systems on the internet. Which site is the most reliable in shipping and gave (low) cheapest prices.
    2. For writing in pc and surfing on net, exactly what kind of hardware and software systems do I need to buy? Could you please list in detail.
    Thanks for your help...

You may want to consider getting a Dell Computer. I would suggest a Pentium 4, 512MB of RAM, 2.6 or 2.8GHz, 80 Gigabyte Hard Dr. or larger, Sound Blaster live for audio, video card 128MB. The Pentium processor is optimized for voice-recognition. You also want the hyper threading technology. Approximately $1200 along with the monitor.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking 7.0 for writing and surfing the Internet. ANC 600 headset.

This is how our other members write and surf the Internet.

How do you type?

Dell can provide you with a headset (I do not know if it will be the ANC 600) and Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Dragon NaturallySpeaking 7.0 professional can be purchased for less than $150. A good headset with noise cancellation feature, around $50.

If your brother cannot use voice-recognition and has to rely on a different technology, then things can get a bit pricey.

One of our members can probably respond to the issue of shipping and your other concerns. Good luck!

PN

[This message was edited by Paul Nussbaum on 02-25-04 at 10:17 PM.]

Paul,
    Thank You very much...

Paul's suggestion is in line with what I was thinking.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking is great but your brother will have to speak English.

-Lewis