Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 75

Thread: Going power for recreation etc

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by zz View Post
    fuckers! posts like these make me wish i have one.
    Glad we could help! ;-)
    Dave

  2. #62
    Senior Member forestranger52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Posts
    1,643
    Having the ability to operate in snow may look spectacular but is a seldom used function and does not exhibit the true requirements of an off pavement chair.

    Plus the chance of becoming stranded and contracting hypothermia is extreme and should be avoided at all costs. I only go out alone if someone will be searching for me within the hour.

    The vast majority of snow travel is in neighborhoods, on roads or in somebody's yard and does not require suspension or maximum stability.
    Frozen precipitation does not present the risks to the electronics that liquid does and should be taken into consideration.

    The QmegaTrac comes with an optional tow hitch (1,000 lbs) if required.
    I have seen snow plows, snow throwers and brush hogs mounted to the OT so it is possible to engineer solutions to practically everything
    Last edited by forestranger52; 01-02-2010 at 08:39 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

    Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

    Teddy Roosevelt

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    Having the ability to operate in snow may look spectacular but is a seldom used function and does not exhibit the true requirements of an off pavement chair.

    Plus the chance of becoming stranded and contracting hypothermia is extreme and should be avoided at all costs. I only go out alone if someone will be searching for me within the hour.

    The vast majority of snow travel is in neighborhoods, on roads or in somebody's yard and does not require suspension or maximum stability.
    Frozen precipitation does not present the risks to the electronics that liquid does and should be taken into consideration.

    The QmegaTrac comes with an optional tow hitch (1,000 lbs) if required.
    I have seen snow plows, snow throwers and brush hogs mounted to the OT so it is possible to engineer solutions to practically everything
    And here I was just trying to have fun.............
    Dave

  4. #64
    glad you guys are having fun and it works well for you! my tank comment...well, 400 lbs?? do you get in your minivan w/it?

    methinks: BOYTOY j/k you guys!

  5. #65
    Senior Member forestranger52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Posts
    1,643
    I recently got fenders for my X-5. The company sells them as mud guards and they are on the order form. $315.00
    They will help protect the electric components in the rear of the powerchair.
    I think that users who have hands that work could make a pair if they have a some mechanical talent.

    If someone is curious what they look like I will ask my attendant to take a picture of them.

    These powerchairs allow me to live in the remote forests that I love. On Wednesday the county transportation could not make it up my road even though it was plowed. Without a functional off pavement powerchair I would have missed an important medical appointment.

    Chairs like mine are critical to maintain some semblance of our past lifestyles. They allow me, a severely handicapped individual a little independence to access places that would be impossible with a standard, hard surface powerchair.

    These are no toys and I'm thankful that I am not trapped in some high crime government sponsored accessible housing project.
    Having spent my life working for the public in the parks and forests of North America, living in a small cabin in the forest is everything for me and should not be dismissed or belittled because someone thinks this challenging lifestyle is just fun.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 01-03-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

    Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

    Teddy Roosevelt

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post

    These are no toys
    No, they're not toys, but they allow you to enjoy life more than you could w/o one. That enjoyment is left to each INDIVIDUAL'S interpretation. I don't have to live in a cabin in the woods to appreciate it's value.


    Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    Having spent my life working for the public in the parks and forests of North America, living in a small cabin in the forest is everything for me and should not be dismissed or belittled because someone thinks this challenging lifestyle is just fun.
    Is this directed at me?
    Dave

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Herco16 View Post
    No, they're not toys, but they allow you to enjoy life more than you could w/o one. That enjoyment is left to each INDIVIDUAL'S interpretation. I don't have to live in a cabin in the woods to appreciate it's value.




    Is this directed at me?
    I think it was probably a response to what cass wrote, sometimes just kidding (j/k) isn't taken as such when written.

  8. #68
    Senior Member forestranger52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Posts
    1,643
    No Herco. Your X-5 is a functional and important part of your lifestyle and should be respected as such. I'm glad it works so well for you.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

    Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

    Teddy Roosevelt

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Fithian, IL
    Posts
    1,967
    If any of you are serious about getting an X5 please visit www.allwebscooters.com I ordered Davids through them. Was the best price around, I don't know if it will get you any where but tell them Lisa Davis told you about them. This guy is a talker but I doubt that you will find a better price. I ordered the X5, with tilt, power legs and seat elevator, shipped to my door (well actually I drove 1 1/2 hrs to get it but they refunded $700 for that) was right around $20,000.

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    231
    WOW Mswife1 that is a good price I will look into it as I am seriously looking into buying one. I am going to have to pay for it myself and there is no coverage I can get for it. But I think it will fit my lifestyle and be worth it in the long run, and sounds like its quite durable and should last. I never see any second hand ones for sale.


    Mooner

Similar Threads

  1. Recreation Centers and You..Opinions?
    By Rbrauer in forum Funding, Legislation, & Advocacy
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-02-2009, 04:47 PM
  2. Access to Recreation, Inc.
    By roshni in forum Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2006, 09:11 AM
  3. One man....so much recreation....
    By Jeff in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2002, 12:01 PM
  4. Recreation / Fitness gadgets, etc.
    By Chris Chappell in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2001, 03:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •