Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Going power for recreation etc

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    The OmegaTrac is front wheel drive. Turns fine. Makes little difference since I use them both every week. I guess if you have very little room it may count but you wanted to know about outdoors.
    The OmegaTrac would run circles around the X-5 especially climbing and side hills.
    And when it comes to stability, balance and confidence the OmegaTrac is better.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Ya I want one that I can use outside for sure but I have no steep hills around my house. I am interested in being able to go down cut lines for hunting as well as use in my house. Dual purpose makes it easier to swallow when it comes to the high cost for these units.

Mooner

im looking for a outdoor chair too and it seems the x5 is the most recomended is it or no
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

48 - if you want outside only, there are brutes that can do better. But if you want a dual purpose chair, the X5 is king. And I haven't found anyplace the X5 can't go outdoors, within reason of course, no swampy areas, etc.

Ranger - you have both an X5 and an Omega? Damn, you are setup.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

thanks mc ill look into that chair does it turn good in your van room wise
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Having both the X-5 and my 4 1/2 year old OmegaTrac is the result of me being trapped in my cabin for basically 5 months last winter. My Omegatrac was broken and my much older Quickie, which has been partially broken since I received it, kept me stuck inside. Canceled numerous Doctors appointments and when the pushing and shoving was over, the VA offered me any powerchair I wanted and I chose the X-5, mainly from reviews on the Forum.

I have never, ever had a problem inside with the OmegaTrac. The OmegaTrac is 29 inches wide and the X-5 is 28.

The X-5 is much lighter and was chosen because sometimes me and the OmegaTrac exceed the weight limit of the wheelchair lifts on vehicles, usually around 700 pounds. Just keep the X-5 out of wet weather and completely away from any side hills.

I am sure the more extreme all terrain powerchairs have limited range as two batteries can only power so much whether it be tracks, four knobby tires or whatever.

All of us would like to have some monster out in the garage that we could roll into and drive off into the wilderness but it just ain't feasible for most of us.

If I could;
    www.rpv4x4.com

Totally independent, just get and go.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 12-27-2009 at 06:45 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I bought this 2009 700EFI Rhino this year and put hand controls in it. As I live on an acreage and am very close to trails everywhere in the bush on crown land. Gives me a little bit of freedom even though I can't go alone anymore and I am a lot more hesitant to drive some places as I am afraid to get stuck. The only thing that I have found that works good to sit on for an extended period of time is sheep's skin, it works amazing. Wish I new before I bought an expensive rubber mat from the local medical store.

I still want a motorized wheelchair like the X5 as that will make things easier around my yard and on trips to city or wherever.

This is my oldest boy and me on my Rhino for the first time.

Mooner

You know what is scary these machines are still a lot cheaper than electric wheelchairs. Pretty sad to see how the unlucky keep getting milked.
    Last edited by Mooner99; 12-27-2009 at 10:53 PM.

48 - I back the X5 into my van. I didn't even think it could turn around in there, until my wife moved the driver seat all the way forward and drove it in and turned around(we put the X5 in the van when we are towing the van behind the motorhome). When I drive the van, my seat isn't all the way forward, for xfer'ing, so I just back in and angle it where I want.

Ranger - can't disagree with a word. If I was deep into it like you, I'd want monster power too. Sucks you got stuck like that, hopefully with your options now, it won't happen again. That rpv4x4 would be a hoot in the back country, shit they even have a side-by-side model.

e.t.a. Mooner, I was typing while you posted. The Rhino is a good option for gettin' out and about, but yeah doesn't make a good transpo for around the barn. Nice out-building.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Thanks McDuff it was here when I bought the place, but boy that was my dream garage. The previous owner use to own a trucking company and he use to park two rigs side by side in there.
    Your right the Rhino doesn't really help me much if i just want to take it easy and move around the yard, I tried with the Rhino it doesn't work at all.

Mooner

I have a full size van Ford E250 and can spin my X5 around inside w/o a problem. Its been a durable workhorse for me and my daughters. I have gotten stuck twice in three and a half years, but both times were my fault. I LOVE IT!!!
    Dave