Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Going power for recreation etc

Mooner - I ordered mine from PlanetMobility.com . They were the cheapest I found. Was very happy with them, it arrived on a lift truck and unpacked at my house. And were very helpful as my chair came with the wrong footrest and they got the new one drop shipped from IIM. The local Rep for IIM wanted $4k more for a beat up demo, than I got new from Planet. bah.
    http://www.planetmobility.com/store/...ier/index.html

Here is the official Order Form. It has more options than shown on Planets site. I would definitely go for the new flat free caster tire option. I had to Slime the crap out of mine due to flats(they didn't have this option then). You could just contact Planet by phone and add more options.
    http://mobility-usa.com/images/downl...0OF%200909.pdf

WFE - do you get to demo chairs first? I think you would like the X5, it should fit in most stores. All powerchairs are too heavy to lift up steps, so that is a problem. The claim is the X5 will go up/over 4 inch obstacles(I've gone over bigger) but not multiple steps at a time.

WFE - found this pic from our trip to Mexico. "Parked" myself in the only handicapped spot in the whole town. I could jump the curb on the left side easily, I went up on the right side once, but the sidewalk was so narrow that I hit the wall due to speed needed to get over that bigger curb. Does this look like your town?

Last edited by McDuff; 12-26-2009 at 10:52 AM.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

X5

I think you convinced me my best options are X5 not the X8 as I was thinking that way. As I live out on a acerage and I can drive down the road for about 3 miles then start entering crown land where I can hunt at different times of the year. But I do have a 2008 700 EFI Rhino that I put hand controls in so I can go in that if I have to. The only problem is with the Rhino you cant turn to the left or right easily to get a good shot off with crossbow or rifle so I am very limited. Trust me that happened this year I saw 3 nice bucks, its hard enough to see nice bucks when you are stuck on the ground. I wasn't able to turn around to shoot them so it REALLY sucked bad, would be worse if it was a Elk bull!
    So I think the X5 is best for me as I can use inside and outside so I would get a lot more use out of it. Have you ever taken that X5 on an airplane?? As that would make it more appealing for me as well as I could roll around at whatever destination I choose and not be so terrified of bumps and curbs. I talked to my rep here in Canada and some guy ordered a T5 about 2 years ago with every available option including luggage rack and trailer as he hunts a lot. It cost him $28k which is a lot of money, I am guessing he could of got for $18k if he shopped around. I am willing to drive to the States to pick it up if I have too.
    Sounds like they are reliable as I would worry about the warranty coverage if I buy in the states and bring to Canada, I am guessing I would have none but for that much savings it would be worth it. This definately sounds like the right chair for "Woman from Europe" as she can get around easily outside and versatile enough to move around inside.
    My only problem is how to get that chair anywhere in a vehicle with me as i have a modified truck with a crane to life the wheelchair in, and it is only designed to lift a manual wheelchair in because of weight restriction on the crane. So I would probably have to look at buying some type of second hand van with room to get in and out of chair. Not sure what else I can do in this regards.

Mooner
    Last edited by Mooner99; 12-26-2009 at 05:25 PM.

I can go to the place we get the equipment and try or go to the different companies. But we can't get all the kind you have got, mostly people are using the Permobil or Storm, I have tried the permobil but the seat are too wide for me, and they deny me a youth size.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I hear ya on the missed shots. I'm a bird hunter and have gone out on an atv with a backrest. We use pushers and blockers, most time I was a blocker(unless the land was swampy, then they wanted me pushing ) and I would "setup" my angle guessing on how the pheasants would come out. Many times I guessed wrong and could only watch them fly away.

I have not taken it on a plane. I explored it once, and it appears that it will fit upright in all the big jets, but if you hit any "commuter" jets, you could be in trouble. If you get the AGM gel cells, you do not have to remove the batteries.

A possible solution for your truck; I've seen a lot of powerchairs on hitch mounted chair carriers. Probably have to have someone else do the loading though. Mine fits up the ramp and into my dropped floor minivan too.

I test drove an X4, the predecessor to the X8, it is an awesome machine. But not a chance indoors, it has a wide turning radius.

$28k is a buttload of money, damn. If you were to need warranty work, you'd have to bring it back to the "shipped to" area. But so far, knock on wood, I have not had a need for any service work.
    e.t.a. But ya know what, you could call and tell PlanetMobility that you were in Canada on vacation and needed work.

WFE - that's weird, you'd think they'd be glad to get you a youth chair, might even be cheaper for them. Too bad.

there is an x5 dealer in uk (i forget their name) but it would work out monumentally expensive, so i would have no compunction getting it shipped to my cousins in boston and flying over to pick it up...
    by the way, i also have problems fitting into standard sizees, but the official order form shows pediatric seat sizes, and although they are not on the planetmobility form, im sure they would order it for me

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    WFE - that's weird, you'd think they'd be glad to get you a youth chair, might even be cheaper for them. Too bad.
    It is really weird rules here, I have been fighting for getting my manuell in a smaller size too. The smallest size for adults is 14", in the end I got the 12.5". But it is new rules here now about size, weight and type of chair so maybe it is better for me, but it is worse for most because people are angry they can't get the chair they want.
    TH 12, 43 years post

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I have both the X-5 and the Next Mobility OmegaTrac. Both chairs work well outdoors and indoors but the OmegaTrac is best by far.
    The OT has air adjustable front/rear suspension and is very comfortable. It lifts the chair by 4 inches and ground clearance is critical.

The OT is heavy (430 lbs) and has a very stable low center of gravity. I can climb scary steep hills by adjusting the air front or back and using the seat tilt.

The X-5 almost threw me out a couple of times because of the high center of gravity and the raised buttons on the controller. On rough terrain my hand can get knocked off the joystick, hit the buttons and change the modes or worse, hit the on/off button which stops the chair dead. The chair was thrown forward and was resting on the leg struts/ footplate and front casters. The only way I recovered was by tilting the seat and falling back on the wheels.
    The controller on the OT is flat and changing modes must be deliberate.

The controller is well sealed and all equipment is protected from the weather on the OT.
    The X-5 raised buttons and exposed equipment makes the chair more venerable to wet weather.

X-5 has low pressure wide knobby tires and the OT has foam filled knobby tires and can be fitted with dualies on the front.

When push comes to shove, I'll take the OmegaTrac.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 12-26-2009 at 04:13 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

What are the size differences in the Omega Tack to the X5 and what does each one weigh. Also how does the turning radios compare? Reliability? Cost difference?

Mooner
    Last edited by Mooner99; 12-26-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Bah I looked them both up and the turning radios is terrible on the OmegaTrac it is 30.5 inches where as the X5 is 22.5. That pretty much decided it for me out of them two, but I like to here different options.

Mooner
    Last edited by Mooner99; 12-26-2009 at 07:27 PM.