Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Going power for recreation etc

Someone gave me a junky power chair. It sucks in gravel or going over bumps. However I use it for yardwork and I love it! I can actually kind of play chase with my dog. If I had a way to transport it I'd take it other places. If I had the money I'd get a better one. Good for you!
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Do not go w/ the Invacare! It is junk imo & won't allow you the woodsy, bumpy terrain you want to cover either. A midwheel is great for turning on a dime in tight spaces but sucks outdoors. I've heard great things about the Quantum & Permobil. I remember it snowing rehab & having to sit back watch my other pc friends take on the snow & ice, the invacare wasn't reliable enough. Good luck!

Yeah Addiesue, I see it as being a good thing.

quad79, I keep getting differing opinions from everyone. hmmm! I can't find Permobil's website???
    Last edited by november; 12-11-2009 at 02:54 AM.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    hmmm! I can't find Permobil's website???
    http://www.permobilusa.com/USA/Permo...r_wheelchairs/

What is the best power chair out there for rough terrain and lots of gravel? I would be interested in getting one just to bomb around my acreage, as i don't want to climb into my Rhino all the time.

Mooner,

The Frontier X5 is a great chair, it's a mid-wheel drive with big knobbies. I have not got hung up on anything yet, and climbs like billygoat. Or if you want monster power, it's big brother is the X8, a 4-wheel drive chair. I can use the X5 in a house easily, no way you could use the X8 indoors. Here's a recent thread:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?p=1138697

There are by Innovation in Motion.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Thanks McDuff,
    That X5 you say can go in the house no problem how big is it? Is it 4 wheel drive as you said you have never got it stuck. Next question with how crappy battery technology still is how long does your battery last on that puppy? I would love the X8 but would prefer to get a chair that I can use for more than one purpose, like driving around a mall or even in a larger house ect. You can get around pretty good in my house as the main floor is all Tile and I have an elevator to upstairs that why I am wondering how big the X5 is compared to the X8.

Mooner

The X5 is 43" long by 28" wide with it's knobby tires(they have a skinny tire option but why?). It is a 2wheel drive, mid-wheel chair with casters front and back, so you are sitting on top of the drive wheels.

I have the Group 24 AGM gel cell batts. Their literature says you can get 20 miles on a charge, depending on terrain, how heavy you are, etc. I don't have any odometer so hard to tell, but one NASCAR trip I forgot my charger and I ran for 2 days before my buddy brought it out, and I estimated I ran at least 12-14 miles(multiple 2 mile roundtrips to the track and all over hell in the campground loop).

We live in a '70's 2100sf house, lot's of tight corners in halls, not a problem. Just remember to "gear down" otherwise you will hit shit. Oh yeah, if you ever go on a throw rug, do not try to turn around, it will eat it for lunch.

We also have a motorhome and I can navigate thru it too. I'm normally in a manual, but when we camp at NASCAR I'm only in the X5.

One of my brothers has a ranch in OK, we camp up there a lot too. It has some very big hills and lots of rough terrain. Found this old thread where I posted and put some pics:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=82918

Since you're in Canada and get snow, here is a thread by Herco16, another guy who abuses his X5:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=128544

I have gone thru mud, gravel thick enough to bury someone, hopped fallen small trees, embankments steep enough(way past the recommended 15 degrees) to rock me backward onto my rear casters(that's a spooky feeling having the 2 fronts in the air) and it has never not made it thru. At the ranch, I always carry my cell and an FRS radio, just in case I ever "stick it"

As you can tell, I like this chair.
    Last edited by McDuff; 12-25-2009 at 11:26 AM.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Best price

McDuff have you found the best place to buy the X5 from in the States, I would be interested in the cheapest price. I can buy and ship to friend in Idaho then go pick up as things are marked up waaaay to much here in Canada. They can't sell here as they have no license too that's why i pick up and save about 50%.

Mooner

I have got a Permobil Trax but it is too big. I can't go inside in a shop with it and it is too heavy to lift up any steps. It is taking one then and it is working great on snow.

I really like to have a power chair too for the winter, but I can't find any I like. I have got the promise from the State for one so it is only for me to find one I like but it has to be small so I can go inside the shops and be useful on snow and ice.
    TH 12, 43 years post