Thread: Good air pump?

Good air pump?

What do people use for pumping tires, like manual wheelchair tires?

I tried the black & decker portable air compressor, but it broke in short order. I don't have the leverage to use a manual pump.

Blackburn Airtower V

It's a double barrel pump which means it pushes air into the tire on the way up as well as down. Half the time, half the strokes.

You can get good prices on Ebay.

Compressors suck. They take forever and they require electricity. I've never seen them go above 80 PSI on a high pressure tire.

Quote Originally Posted by radio_buddha View Post
    Blackburn Airtower V

It's a double barrel pump which means it pushes air into the tire on the way up as well as down. Half the time, half the strokes.

Compressors suck. They take forever and they require electricity. I've never seen them go above 80 PSI on a high pressure tire.
    Not true...I have one that will inflate up to 200 psi...handles my Right Runs just fine at 140psi. It is also much faster than any hand held one I have seen. It does need electricity...but it is more convienent (in my opinion) than a non-compressor.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I usually use my 4 h.p. shop compressor. It has no problem filling high pressure tires in seconds.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

You may want to spend a little more and get a cordless, rechargeable compressor. The one I use now is a no name brand but works well. In the past I have used a Campbell Hausfeld - those are great. Because the rechargeable battery is heavy, these are heavier but you are not tethered to a wall outlet or the DC outlet in your vehicle. I have filled van tires from about 15 lbs up to 50lbs, it will fill your chair tires to 200. Back when I used to do wheelchair racing I had one at the (old) Canadian start area for the Detroit Free Press Marathon. The compressor brought by race organizers failed and about 10 racers used my compressor to fill their tires to 150 psi. You have to recharge these to keep them strong but they have always worked well for me.

Blackburn Airtower V

Compressors suck? that`s becuase you don`t have tried a good one.
    Now you can say that you have seen them above 80psi.

We've got a Craftsman air compressor that is rechargable and love it. It's been to wheelchair basketball tourneys all over the country.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Okay. Obviously I'm not talking about shop compressors. Let me clarify… Compressors from sport aid suck. Never seen one from sport aid go above 80 PSI.

Anybody with a further challenge on that opinion can visualize my middle finger.

Have a nice morning.

Okay. Obviously I'm not talking about shop compressors. Let me clarify… Compressors from sport aid suck. Never seen one from sport aid go above 80 PSI.

Anybody with a further challenge on that opinion can visualize my middle finger.

Have a nice morning.
    I don't see where anyone limited compressor sources to Sport Aid. No need to get your panties in a bunch because other members have had experiences that differ from your opinion. We value your experience based opinion, but it isn't the final word.

I don't know your functional level, but not every member will find a hand powered piston pump to be their best option.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    What do people use for pumping tires, like manual wheelchair tires?

I tried the black & decker portable air compressor, but it broke in short order. I don't have the leverage to use a manual pump.
    You can get some good ideas on portable compressors from this thread > http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=138190