Thread: Running in place

Thumbs up Running in place

Running in place
    March 30, 2009 by Brian Johnson
    Cambridge's InVivo Therapeutics is charging toward a cure for paralysis. Will investors come along for the ride?

Frank Reynolds taught himself how to walk again after doctors said he couldn't. He made a monkey run two weeks after a traumatic spinal cord injury. In fact, Frank Reynolds might even hold the cure for paralysis in the palm of his hands.

Who knew that would be the easy part?

Just after an investors conference last fall, Reynolds, the founder and chief executive of Cambridge’s InVivo Therapeutics Corp., stood just outside the conference center at Umass Boston’s Campus Center looking slightly bewildered.

Investors conferences are equal parts debutante ball, speed dating round and game show episode. It’s “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire,” with better odds.

Or they used to be, before AIG became a four-letter word and industry came looking for bailouts. But the ebullient spirit of entrepreneurialism knows no bounds, so, one-by-one, inventors, engineers and CEOs walked to the podium to show the investment community how their medical innovations would change the world.

Reynolds, a robust 44-year-old who speaks in rapid-fire, Bronx-tinged clips, is a master of the pitch. A meeting with Reynolds can leave you light-headed as he weaves through a life story that starts with a debilitating car accident, meanders the halls of M.I.T. and ends in a future where paralysis is a thing of the past. Friends describe him as a real-life “Energizer bunny” with endless enthusiasm and an evangelical zeal for helping the paralyzed.

But, despite Reynold’s animated pitch for InVivo’s spinal implant that November day,the buzz petered out after his presentation. There was glad-handing, business cards were exchanged along with general pleasantries, but Reynolds cut no deals.

After a few minutes, standing with a pair of lieutenants at his side, Reynolds flashed a moment of melancholy. Here he is, the man who overcame his own paralysis, who may hold the cure to paralysis, shoulder-to-shoulder with enough cash on the hoof to make the vision a reality, and all he had to show for it was a few kind words and a stack of business cards. Talk about a sign of the times.

"Imagine if this was 1998," he said to no one in particular.

read...

http://www.massdevice.com/features/running-place

Results ?

InVivo said that a study involving 16 to 20 primates was on going and the results should have come in June 2009.
    Anyone knows something about the results?

InVivo Therapeutics Corporation Files FDA Application for Human Studies for Spinal Cord Injury Treatment

December 3, 2009

InVivo Therapeutics Corporation has filed an Investigational Device Exemption application with the Food and Drug Administration requesting permission to advance to human clinical studies. InVivo is currently conducting its third primate study and expects to receive approval to begin a human study in 2010

What is this? Did this guy really recover from a SCI?

It's very good news that they want to begin a human study in 2010. I hope they will stick to this and not postpone it a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckanan View Post
    What is this? Did this guy really recover from a SCI?
    I met Frank at W2W in 08, we sat at the same supper table and he told me his story, yes he was SCI, misdiagnosed I think and sent home paralyzed, said screw that did intence rehab and today you'd never know, that's short story.

Frank is as detirmined as Wise he's in it to the end.

Like all the others a big investor would speed it up for him too.
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Not for chronics... It's for injuries within 30 days... But hey, anything is a go at this point in time.
    A good friend is someone who will come to bail you out of jail. A TRUE friend is the guy sitting next to you behind the same set of bars saying, "boy we sure f*cked up this time huh?"

Spinal cord injury treatment awaits trial approvalRSS Feed

04 December 2009
    A pharmaceutical company has requested permission to begin human studies of a spinal cord injury treatment.

InVivo's technology, if approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), would be the first treatment of its kind to progress to clinical studies.

Frank Reynolds, chief executive officer at InVivo, said he is confident that the company will receive approval and is optimistic about what this will represent for spinal cord injury research,

read...

http://www.seriousinjurylaw.co.uk/ne...l-approval.php