Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Next Year ?

Buck,
    I didn't mean to imply that Davies has applied for FDA approval. We are still waiting to see the results of his peer-reviewed paper. I was just mentioning the potential groups that could or have applied for trials in 2010.

I don't mean to hash over wording but how do you all feel about stating treatments instead of a cure? Could this wording make it easier for people to wrap their heads around? Just getting back functions-breathing, sex, B/B, etc. would be a great advance. To say you are going to cure something is a really big thing. How do you cure spinal strokes? How do you cure accidents?

Kate,
    Looking forward to details. Larry and I so enjoyed meeting you all in Chicago.

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by momo3 View Post
    Buck,
    I didn't mean to imply that Davies has applied for FDA approval. We are still waiting to see the results of his peer-reviewed paper. I was just mentioning the potential groups that could or have applied for trials in 2010.

Cancer was a tabou word not that long time ago - now several types of cancer are cured and many more types will be cured in the future. The only hurdle for cures are lack of research and clinical trials.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    The only hurdle for cures are lack of research and clinical trials.
    Other than that we are golden...

InVivo Therapeutics Corporation

does anyone know if InVivo Therapeutics Corporation stock can be bought or are they a private company?

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    Other than that we are golden...
    It seams so - but I really think there is a new shift out there now, like more and more sci clinicians also believes that it is possible to address the spinal cord itself, to thry to fix what is injured. I don't think based on what I see there is a problem with what one names the fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    Sounds good Kate. I think I have been out of the loop regarding federal funds and legislation. Is there a reason why the W2W's are no longer political rallies and held in Washington DC?
    Good question. Others on the board might want to chime in, but here's my answer . . . we had a couple of serious requests from the congress, remember?

Pass the CDRPA and fund escr.

Done and done. There is an argument for taking the next step and pushing for more money at NIH plus funding for CDRPA -- but realistically, in this economic climate, how likely is it that we're going to make headway? And if there is not a lobbying effort to manage, why DC?

We also made the decision to take the show on the road because we wanted to reach as many people in the country as possible. Last year in Chicago that decision paid off in the sense that a majority of people at the conference were first-timers -- people who could drive to Chicago but could not have afforded to fly to DC.

The Southwest has some advantages that other places don't -- reasonable rates, great weather, very accessible cities, which -- we think! -- will translate into another set of new people showing up to hear the scientists and get some energy around pushing for progress. You never know what will be sparked at these things, either among the scientists or among the participants.

Working 2 Walk is fun. I'd do it every quarter, all around the USA if I could.

Approximately 40-50 Million Dollars annually (my guesstimate) is being spent on sham treatments (sci). Doctors & Centers that provide the same cells, time and time again, with the same non-result.

Albert Einstein said, Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Conducting a fee based clinical trial network would move the process to a solution at a much faster pace. But we couldn't do that right, it would be unethical. Instead, lets all just remain paralyzed...and quiet.

btw- Leif, Cancer is not cured, it's managed.

Quote Originally Posted by chasb View Post
    btw- Leif, Cancer is not cured, it's managed.
    For example, some leukemia can be cured, not just managed, and it is cured by stem cells.

Kate- Thanks for your explanation. My thoughts regarding DC are more about PR and advocacy. A newspaper may do a story on someone that is traveling down to Washington to advocate for restorative function. It is a harder story to sell if a patient is traveling to the southwest to meet researchers.

Another topic which I think still needs to be discussed is the CD RPA. I don't see it separate from binding the community socially and potentially restoring function through some of its provisions. It is great that it is a bill. I'm very thankful for all the hard work that has been done -- but... Where is the money ??? and when is it coming?

chasb- I agree that patient a patient sponsored clinical trial network is the way to go. Personally, I don't have the funds to support myself but the fact that others do and would pick up the speed of the trials -- to me makes it ethical. My perspective is that...I couldn't afford the first iPhone -- but if I wanted to I could pick up the third-generation.

I think ethical code need to be realistic and adapt to the circumstance. I guess I'm not in absolutist like Kant.