Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Next Year ?

Next Year ?

2010 is almost here. No break through treatment for chronics still. Maybe next year. That's all I have to say about that.

no no no... It's "5" more years. Get it right. Geesh!
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

it's so disheartening another year goes by.

Look at the bright side! We are now a year closer to actually being 5 years away!

I would be surprised if any cell treatment was developed for chronics until well after 2020*. The Geron OPC1 cells will most likely be refined and will become the platform to add drug combination's. By then, Geron may have been bought by a larger company. I don't foresee any other cells currently known providing any measurable return.

Gerons cells have been frozen, just waiting in Menlo Park, CA since 2006. There is simply no outrage, no immediacy.

* I would like to be proven wrong.

I've come to realize that I will live this life without "cure". But many here will benefit from products of science that provide meaningful increases in function. In my life I've seen so many "miracles" happen that few could have even dreamed. What was once science fantasy is now commonplace. Don't wait for the "cure" to live your life, but never forget that it will come. Once the first "real" therapies are developed, the progress will accelerate and grow like a snowball rolling downhill. Keep the faith, and keep in shape mentally and physically.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    I've come to realize that I will live this life without "cure". But many here will benefit from products of science that provide meaningful increases in function. Don't wait for the "cure" to live your life, but never forget that it will come.
    FO, I love your wisdom with words!

This sums up how I feel. The cure will come & many here will reap the benefits, ones with function, newer injuries. I just don't see it coming my way & I'm a bit over 3 years post. I wish & pray it will come, but I can't & won't wait on it for myself. Call me negative but I don't see chronics without current function as fixable.

I think acutes will benefit in the next 5 years - Cethrin is a good example - but I fear that chronic SCI will end up like chronic polio.

Once we can effectively treat most new injuries, we chronics will be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmeky View Post
    2010 is almost here. No break through treatment for chronics still. Maybe next year. That's all I have to say about that.
    There's too much research going on to say one way or the other.
    However, I don't believe that our nation will produce a therapy.
    Politics and the economy won't allow the research to move forward.

Honestly we don't have enough Schmekies. Just schmuckies!

Imagine being a scientist and having to stare into the eyes of someone sitting for 1+, 5+, 10+, 20+ yrs and explain why reversal of paralysis isn't here yet ... knowing it might not be in your lifetime ... or theirs.

Well that was depressing.

So the point is that what we have been doing isn't working up to this point. How can we be more pro-active?

Socially the disabled have made quite a few strides in the past twenty years ... that is something.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12