Thread: Wireless Router through a standard router?

Wireless Router through a standard router?

I'm wanting to get a wireless router for my laptop and hook it up through my normal router so I can have internet access on it. Is this possible or will I need to get wireless access cards for the two computers currently sharing the connection?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks,

-Steven

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but...

I have my broadband connection hooked up to my Linksys wireless router w/ 4 port switch. My desktop connects to it via CAT5 cable(no wireless access card needed) and we have 2 laptops that connect through wireless cards(one with a PCMCIA card and one with an integrated card). So, can't you just replace your old router?

That should theoretically work. I have the same setup as Chris; the 4th port on the router is able to support another router daisy-chained to the first.

I agree though, I'd just replace the old one. They're pretty cheap these days anyway.

Sounds like mine is set up just cjo's

Yeah, what cjo said. You can also get a wireless router that functions as a print server so you can print off the laptop without having to have a desktop on all the time to do this. I use a D-Link 714P, works pretty good.

Cool, that's what I was wondering; thanks guys. I am gonna get a wireless router, just wanted to avoid getting the wireless access cards for the two computers currently hooked up if I could. My dad would have to install the cards if I had to get them, and that's always stressful.

-Steven

Originally posted by Steven Edwards:

My dad would have to install the cards if I had to get them, and that's always stressful.
    I had to instruct my 20 year old sister how to put in 512 MB of RAM. Not fun.

Originally posted by Steven Edwards:

Cool, that's what I was wondering; thanks guys. I am gonna get a wireless router, just wanted to avoid getting the wireless access cards for the two computers currently hooked up if I could. My dad would have to install the cards if I had to get them, and that's always stressful.

-Steven
    your wireless router comes with 4 slots wired connection. just replace your old router. or bridge the new router to the old.