Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Ticket Woes

Legally, it is your responsibility, unfortunately, but she really is acting like a douche bag over this. Personally, I would have a hard time getting past the emotional hurt of her saying or implying she was doing you a favor since she was acting like a friend and attending the concert and having dinner out. That is not doing a favor, that is friendship. Years ago a friend and I were drag racing late at night (stupid, I know, but this was really a lifetime ago) and for whatever reason she was the one pulled over by the cops, who seemed to think that she was speeding and I was not. Nothing could be further from the truth, but they just happened to catch her when she pulled around me to pass. We met around the next curve and knew how lucky we were that they thought it was just a single person speeding instead of what was really going on. They gave her an expensive ticket which we split the cost of. That is the least I could do, and it is the least your friend shoud do for you.

She broke the law, not you. She is responsible. What if the car was stolen and a red light was run ...would it still be your fault? No. It is worth the fight. The judge will say yes or no. It is your right to fight the ticket. She is really wrong for not fessing up to breaking the law and paying the ticket. She broke the law. She should pay the ticket. You asked her to drive, she said yes. You did not ask her to run the red light or drive recklessly. What if she had hit another car...would that be your fault?

It is your "friend's" responsibility.

I would do as the person in California did -- request a trial and prove, to the best of your ability, that you were not the driver.

If you lose in traffic court and end up paying, you could always sue this "friend" in small claims court for the $285 fine. I'd love to see this on "Judge Judy" -- JJ would shred your friend. [/snark]
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

take it to court! i go for every ticket always get a break. 3 dui's i can't even count how many speeding tickets no points only had to pay half the fines.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

I'd pay the fine to see her on JJ! LOL

Did you happen to notice how bad she ran the red? She may have put your life in danger. My partner was with her friends in high school and the driver ran a red, which ended up killing the driver and leaving some emotional scars on the other passengers.
    Andrew

Wow I only expected to get one or two replies. But this is great because many of the replies in here have me reconsidering what to do. Thanks to everybody who replied.

But before I start replying to specific posts I just want to reiterate that I never said anywhere in this thread that I wasn't legally responsible for the ticket. That I am is a given, because the vehicle is registered in my name and the ticket was issued in my name. Which is why I said in the first post that the ticket would have to be paid regardless of whether or not she decides to contribute to its payment. At the very least, if the ticket is not paid or otherwise resolved, I will lose the ability to renew my vehicle registration next year.

I don't have much experience with traffic tickets so that was why I assumed fighting it in court would be pointless. But now I wonder if it might not be worth looking into doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulScream View Post
    I'd pay the fine to see her on JJ! LOL

Did you happen to notice how bad she ran the red? She may have put your life in danger. My partner was with her friends in high school and the driver ran a red, which ended up killing the driver and leaving some emotional scars on the other passengers.
    No. I didn't even notice that she had run it to be honest. But I was in the back and didn't have a clear view of the road. I asked the other passenger who was sitting up front. She said that driver sped up at the last second to try and beat the yellow light but that it had turned red before she passed the stop line. That would have automatically triggered the camera but we were likely almost, if not fully, out of the intersection before the opposite lights turned green. But yes you are right, it was a stupid risk that could have put everybody in danger.

My concern is that you were not driving. It shouldn't go on your record.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

As far as her paying or not I would be annoyed at this, but like Timaru said maybe you caught her at a bad time or something.
    I'd go to court. Maybe no one would have to pay.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Court is overtime for officers. You'll get it reduced. Win-win. Go to court ... and give them a lesson in accessibility too!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12