Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need a notebook suggestion.

I've been kickin' around the same idea.
    The powerbook survivability isn't that great, and can be VERY expensive when it breaks.
    The 2 display hinges? 600$ to replace, after I dropped it 2 feet onto carpet.
    Would be nice to have a cheap laptop.

http://krstofer.org

Ebay would be a good place to start if you don't need something new and lightning fast.

I wanted to buy a cheap notebook when I was going to be readmited to the hospital for a few weeks. I didn't need anything fancy, I just needed one for checking email and browsing the net.

At the time I was looking for an older used P3 notebook, but I ended up finding a refurbished 1.6Ghz HP notebook on ebay for the same price as the used P3 notebooks were going for. It came with a 1yr waranty too.

I was going to sell it when I got home, but I dicided to hang on to it. I got a wireless card and a wireless router so I can use it anywhere in the house to get on the net.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

I got a nice Averatec laptop [Athlon 1600 XP-M], 512mb RAM, 30gb HD, integrated wireless lan, DVD/CDRW, 3 USB 2.0 ports, integrated 56k modem and a port to attach an external VGA monitor for around $1000. It's great, but the battery life could be longer [around 3 hours].

-Steven

good suggestions all.

krstofer... ouch man, 600 bucks? Do you have one of the newer models? I have a Ti & it has taken a beating (finish has chipped off a few of the edges, etc)... I even fell asleep once & knocked it a couple feet off the bed, but it survived just fine. It was closed though.

I've never had a problem with it, although I think the screen is going bad. I get a pink tinge when it turns on, but after running for 10-15 seconds it's fine.

Originally posted by Steven Edwards:

I got a nice Averatec laptop ... for around $1000.
    That's cool Steven, never heard of that company. How'd you find out about them?

You're not supposed to drop them, anyway.

The iBook G4 seems to be a good machine for the money...not much under the PB, but a lot cheaper, especially if you're a student.

Stupidity is not a handicap. Please park elsewhere.

www.overstock.com sells a Ibm thinkpad for around 600 dollars, not a bad deal. I have a thinkpad, I really like it.

Originally posted by scott (jmu):

That's cool Steven, never heard of that company. How'd you find out about them?
    I Froogle'd XP-M because I knew I wanted that processor and saw Averatec listed with specs I was happy with. A few Google queries later I turned up some reviews, which looked good.. then purchased it.

-Steven