Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need a notebook suggestion.

need a notebook suggestion.

alright, I'm primarily a mac guy [happy] w/ my Powerbook G4, but am considering a not-too-expensive win-based notebook for a couple business-related apps. Any suggestions from you self-proclaimed geeks out there?

I can deal with something small (12" display) as long as it'll support an external display / extended desktop (preferably via DVI). Speed isn't a huge issue... any P4 w/ room to put in a chunk of extra ram (up to a gig) will be fine.

TIA.... figured this place is good as any to ask.

Dell seems to have the best cost/performance ratio out there. IBM has the best quality/design out there, but you pay for it. I would recommend going with a P-M (Centrino) processor, battery life is so much better using that processor. I have a Centrino with a single battery that still lasts longer than my P4M (mobile based P4 processor) notebook with dual batteries. Most laptops will support an external display via SVGA cable, but I dont know of any that will actually allow dual displays, they will just show on the external display what is on the LCD. Also, try to get the fastest hard drive (5400 or 7200 RPM), you will notice a big difference.

With that in mind, my recommendation is kind of overkill for your purposes, but I would throw it out there anyway...you never know when you would want to play games or not (my computer, it will run you roughly $2K delivered w/tax).

Dell Inspiron 8600
    1.5 P-M processor
    512 MB
    60GB 7200rpm HD
    1920X1200 display
    ATI 9600 ProTurbo video w/128MB (DX9 card)
    Intel wireless card
    CD burner

This puppy will basically replace most mid-range desktops. It wont kill a full blown gaming system, but will nicely run any games currently available, and be a heck of a lot more portable.

deleted duplicate post

[This message was edited by *Andy* on 02-16-04 at 02:48 PM.]

I think that Sony's VAIO laptops are pretty competitive as well.

www.sony.com

I have an Asus M3N that I love. Pentium M 1.4ghz with centrino mobile. 40gb hdd + 1gb ram + dvdrom/cdrw + extra battery. With the extra battery I get up to 8 hours. Weighs about 6 lbs i think. I paid about $2200.

Cnet has some nice guides to buying a laptop:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Notebooks/45...tag=cnetfd.dir

If link doesn't work, try http://www.cnet.com/ and click "notebook buying guide" under Notebooks.

Steve

Scott: When you write "not too expensive," do you want to spend less than $1,000? I like the Fujitsu notebook, and you may want to go to Notebook Shop.com and take a look at their prices.

Link

PN

thanks for the feedback guys.

Paul - not sure about the price... hehe... just as inexpensive & powerful as I can find. Keeping it around or under $1500 sounds good to me.

That being said I may put this idea on hold & borrow my brother's Dell Inspiron. The more I think about it, it's not the most practical use of funds for now... but maybe in the near future should the need present itself.

(I'm working on starting up a new small-scale business; I'll tell more when it gets off the ground)

thanks again.

I bought a Gateway laptop last May for $853. Specs are:

2GHZ
    256 MB RAM
    40 GB HDD
    CD-R/DVD Combo drive
    Built in wireless network adapter

I ran over it with my power chair(not the display - it was open). My dad did a little bending on the door of the combo drive and all is well.

cjo: Glad to read that your Dad bent the door and the operation was a success.

PN