Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tingling sensation HELP PLEASE!

I would encourage you also to get the test, if for no other reason than you will have a better idea of what you are dealing with. I am sure that it is scarey for you, but knowledge is power.

If it is any consolation to you, what I have seen is the first year or two after an injury seem to be the hardest. Everything that you are dealing with is new and you don't have the knowledge that you need to help you understand what has happened.

Hang in there. You are more than welcome to vent on this site.

CKF

Tam63-thank you for your encouragement! quadefather-i have not seen a neurosurgeon so i am not sure what they would recommend. i only saw my regular primary doctor. he and i both think it is a stenosis problem that is getting worse. "mentally trying" you bet it is!!! sci nurse- i know i should probably have the test but i am not sure if i want to know the results right now. it's too much to handle. it would probably mean another big surgery if it needs to be fixed. i am waiting for my bladder surgery to but not sure which to take care of first. thanks for all of your support. for me it's been the second year that's hardest. this added complication has just about pushed me over the edge. ever since my paralysis i have had some problems with anxiety but lately it has gotten worse and i've just started trying different medications for it. right now that is the only thing we are treating. Thanks for all your support!

i know i should probably have the test but i am not sure if i want to know the results right now. it's too much to handle. it would probably mean another big surgery if it needs to be fixed.
    I totally understand this feeling, Bailey. My condition is such that I face progressive neurological decline on top of other chronic medical conditions. With all that going on, there have been more than a few times when something different popped up that I just couldn't find the stamina to face even more tests and doctor interactions.

With that confession out of the way, I'm here to be a hypocrite and urge you to please see a neurosurgeon to help you find out exactly what's behind this tingling. Knowing what's causing it will allow you to actively decide what happens, instead of just letting this happen. I'd hate for you to discover later on, after permanently losing even more function than you already have from your SCI, that this was something that could be remedied through non- or minimally-invasive measures.

Remember, too, that even if it is something that would require major neurosurgery involving major risks and extensive recovery, you have every right to say, "I've had enough" and refuse the surgery, whether that's just for now or for good.

I've actually said no to an operation that my neurosurgeon assumed was a given (because he, the doctor, consented to take such a risky procedure on!), and I have never felt more liberated and happy about a medical decision (at the time and ever since), even though I know it means that I face a hard road of getting progressively worse over time, and perhaps even ending up on a vent. The fact that it was MY informed decision to live with the consequences rather than just having these changes occur without knowing what's causing them makes it easier for me to live with the loss of function that's occurring.

Either way, while the process of finding out can be stressful as all get out, the actual knowledge of what's going on and making an informed decision about what to do (even if it is to do nothing at all) can be quite a relief.

Please don't let yourself get to a point in the future when you're filled with regret because fear of knowing caused you to miss a potentially easy opportunity to prevent things from getting worse or even make things better. At the very least, I encourage you to go see a neurosurgeon and form a relationship with him/her so you have someone you know and are comfortable with at the ready to help if and when you need/want that level of care. From there, you can take it one step at a time -- decide if you want to proceed with an MRI or other diagnostic tests, then decide if you want to pursue some form of treatment. One day at a time, one decision at a time.

We'll all support you whatever you do.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

I couldn't have said it better, Hipcrip!
    CKF