Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather and SCI

We live in the southern part. We just got about two inches of snow. My hubby is hateing it:/

I live in Tx and this past week it snowed twice. I noticed the pain got worse during the week. I took more pain meds and slept more too and it still seemed to help very little. This has been my first year suffering with neuropathic pain so I don't really know how it will be for me next winter. Hopefully it will be more tolerable.

As to your legal problem with your x, I would check with a lawyer for advice. Laws vary by state I believe. Wish you good luck.

Raven
    Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
    but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Quote Originally Posted by sweet25lips View Post
    We live in the southern part. We just got about two inches of snow. My hubby is hateing it:/
    Are you looking for medical journal articles on quads and inability to stay warm? Or are you looking for something on pain and cold? Two different things but I may be able to help.
    PM me with specifics if you want.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I live in British Columbia and all you can think about is staying warm in the winter. So yes the cold does make you more aware of how messed up your body is and that exacerbates the pain that you are trying to ignore.Arghhhhhh!!!!!!! i have a C-7 that has just left me with central pain that affects, sleep mood and behaviour because it tends to own your life.

Cold= spasticity, spasms, nerve pain, arthritis(around fusion & in shoulders/arms) getting worse. To top it off this all can make depression worsen too. Good luck in your case with your ex. Living w/ sci in cold weather is miserable, your hubby is right! Not to mention, I myself never freakin' get warm!

Thanks everyone for all the posts. My husband has complained for years about the pain but I never understand it. To al you with SCI I hope the best for you and hang in there. I see how my husband is affected and it is not fun.

ya the cold effects me as well mostly my knees and ankles and if the plates in my neck get cold i'm screwed. its been -36 degrees celsius up here in alberta for a week now, and we have 4 foot drifts everywhere lol i couldn't even get to my truck it was so bad. i would like to move to a warmmer place.

Ouch! I grew up in New Brunswick (Canada) so I can imagine winters in Maine!

Vancouver has been -6 Celsius for a couple of days. The SCI community here is in shock. My solution is polar fleece leggings, wool socks & undershirt, silk turtleneck, wool sweater, polar fleece scarf, corduroy trousers...... and I don't leave the house for another couple of hours... I'm too warm...

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post

Vancouver has been -6 Celsius for a couple of days. The SCI community here is in shock. My solution is polar fleece leggings, wool socks & undershirt, silk turtleneck, wool sweater, polar fleece scarf, corduroy trousers...... and I don't leave the house for another couple of hours... I'm too warm...

I remember when i first bought my satelite dish back in the eighties, I was surfing around and saw a weather map, it was weird, it took me awhile to figure out the weird part was the temps were all single digits, was up in canada, never seen those single digits here, hell, it's 48 today and I'm freezing
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post

Come to Salmon Arm, it's a balmy -16, -20 with the windchill.