Thread: Tilite 2GX questions

Tilite 2GX questions

I helping a friend spec out a Tilite 2GX folding wheelchair. I have no prob with ridged frames but never did a folder before.

He's MS, ambulatory mostly, using an old Quickie GP ridgid with swing away footrests.

Not sure on the front wheel size. I was thinking going with a 5x1.5 aluminum softroll. Ti only has the 4's but we can get the 5's somewhere else. they also have a 6x1.25. So preferences for those using folders. He has the 8x1.25 now.

Type of rear tire. I use the 25x1 swalbe right runs. He's using the 1.25 everyday treaded tire. Does the 1" tire work well on a folder.

Frame angle. 70 or 80 degree? He has long legs and wants to be stable.

I guess a folding back would be good also.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

On another note. I am thinking of a new chair. Not sure if I want to go Tilite TR ot Top End Terminator. Any thoughts.

Thanks, Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I helping a friend spec out a Tilite 2GX folding wheelchair. I have no prob with ridged frames but never did a folder before.

He's MS, ambulatory mostly, using an old Quickie GP ridgid with swing away footrests.

Not sure on the front wheel size. I was thinking going with a 5x1.5 aluminum softroll. Ti only has the 4's but we can get the 5's somewhere else. they also have a 6x1.25. So preferences for those using folders. He has the 8x1.25 now.

Type of rear tire. I use the 25x1 swalbe right runs. He's using the 1.25 everyday treaded tire. Does the 1" tire work well on a folder.

Frame angle. 70 or 80 degree? He has long legs and wants to be stable.

I guess a folding back would be good also.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

On another note. I am thinking of a new chair. Not sure if I want to go Tilite TR ot Top End Terminator. Any thoughts.

Thanks, Patrick
    Patrick,

If I understand your friends situation he isn't able to wheel to much being ambulatory, does he use the chair a lot outside or mostly indoors? Does he need a folding or is that just what he is use to?

I think that the smaller front caster if he is indoors and a narrower back tire would also be beneficial indoors also. But if he is outside a lot and on grass etc or being pushed most of the time then bigger front tires and wider backs would be better.

For the front angle I have a 85 and when I get my new chair it is going to be probably 90 if that actually makes the chair shorter, I will do which ever makes it shorter. I am 6' 5" with pretty long legs and I find the steeper the angle the better for a more compact chair and over all comfort.

I am also thinking of getting the Spinergy Flex rims on my rear tires, I think your buddy should look into those also or at least read up on them.

If you can get a bit of dump in the chair that would make it more stable for your buddy, 2 or 3 inches if he has trouble getting out of the chair, but get a demo and try it so he is sure.

I am also getting an ergo seat when I get my new chair. I am finishing up the ordering on Friday this week and I am still deciding between a TopEnd Crossfire Titanium or a Tilite ZR titanium. I want titanium for the natural flex in the frame.

If he has now a 8" caster, go for a 5x1.5 softroll, the 1" rear tire works perfect, go for 80ยบ front angle and a front reduction for stay his legs in place, and the folding back too.

I am in the process of getting a new chair too. Is it good to go with a 90 degree front angle if you are a short person? I have an 80 know does that ten more degrees make a major difference. Thanks

My 2GX

I bought my TiLite 2GX several weeks ago. I will try to attach spec below.
    I am also MS, I can stand for v. short time and transfer to the car (modified van). While standing, I fold chair and put it behind driver seat.
    I am 186 cm ( ~ 6'1) tall, and close to 200lb. If you have any specific questions about my 2GX just ask. I spent a lot of time studying specification.

Since purchase I am doing some mods and "garage tinkering", trying to make it perfect for me. BTW, that drives my girlfriend crazy ... "just stop .. and enjoy your beautiful ne W/C" .. women

So far:-
    I replaced basic/ hard roll casters with Frog Leg soft roll caster 6" x 1.5' wide. I go for 6" because of my size , but also because of my lifestyle - I am trying to be busy in the garden and garage so bigger casters are better with obstacles and uneven surface :- I found that 8" are too big , 4 " are too small for my size ... I like to seat high .... front seat of my chair is set to maximum.
    I replaced Spinergy Wire with Spinergy LX. I bought 26" wheels and I am very happy with them. The Sportaid shipped me axels which are to long so be careful. Aluminium Hand rims sold by TiLite are totally unacceptable (unless user is not using them much ... still what would be the point). They are smooth and have no grip at all. My new LX's have NaturalFit hand rims. Big difference in comfort. If your friend has small hands, maybe titanium handrims are worth a try (?) .. I would like to try them myself but no chance here.
    Tires of LX wheels were catching the frame so I had to add spacers, but that is detail.

Cheers
    Kris

Specs of my 2GX

2GX SWINGAWAY; SATIN FINISH, 18" W X 18" D, LONG FRAME,
    SEAT HGTS 20.5" F/ 20" R, FIXED 16" - 20" BACK W/ 8' BEND AND FOLD DOWN PUSH HADLES INTEGRATED BACK POSTS,
    CTR OF GRAVITY 3.75", 2' CAMBER, 2" TAPER ON 80' FRAME,
    SEAT TOFTPLATE 18.5", DEPTH AND ANGLE ADJUSTABLE FLIP UP FOOTPLATE,
    6" X 1" PLASTIC WHEEL, POLY TIRE CASTERS,
    26"/#590 SPINRGY WIRE/SPOKE REAR WHEEL, PNEUMATIC TIRE, SILVER ALUM. ANODIZED HANDRIM, LONG TAB, STD PUSH-LOCK BRAKES,
    BLACK, TENSION ADJUSTABLE W/ STRAPS BACK UPH., TENSION ADJ SEAT UPH.,
    ALUMINUM FENDERED SIEGUARDS, SS Q.R. AXLES,
    SWINGAWAY TUBULAR ARMRESTS 12"-15", W/BLACK ALCANTRA ULTRASUEDE COVERS,
    USER FRIENDLY ANTI-TIPPERS, HEEL LOOPS,

Tilite 2GX - 80 vs 70 deg

I have 80 deg with 2" taper. Very happy with it. Makes my wheelchair smaller and more compact, less damage to the walls and I fit easier through the doors. Also for me (he can be different), having feet closer (under my thighs) makes it easier to correct my sitting position and redistribute my weight on the cushion.
    Note that because of 2" taper, folded wheelchair is wider , unless you are able to remove hangers.
    Before you make final decision you must carefully observe how does your friend do things and what he is able to do. Also how would he like to do the daily activities he is still able to do.
    My girfriend has 70 deg hangers and they work for her well during transfers. She slides her little feet of footplates, swings away hangers and transfers to bed etc while supporting herself with hands. This procedure would not work for me at all.
    Also, best angle may depend on the size of the frame. I have 18"x18" seat on long frame. I could have the same seat on extra long frame, 2" longer ... footplates would stick out more in that case.
    Cheers, Kris