Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The money

The money

Where in the hell do you people get all your money from? I understand where Jazzy Jeff gets his from. Cause he lives with his Mommy.

But, where does everyone else get there money from? I live by myself, and my money is tight as he**. I wiorked foir 20 yrs before I got hurt, and I can barely make it. I understand money doesn't grow on trees, but it seems like it does for some people..

I'm not asking for any type of charity, but damn life is hard with no cash.

How do ya do it?

Any advise would be very helpful. TY in advance.

Rick

Try the vocational rehab people in your state. They can help prepare you for a new career in something that you can do.

Not everyone has collected big settlements or has income from any source other than Social Security, and not everyone lives at home. Some live in less than lovely places (like the garden shed that Jerry spent the summer in). You do what you have to do to get by.

With the economy in the dumps right now you could use this time to get some education and then pursue your interests in the working world.

Getting a job will help your bottom line as you can earn up to a certain amount each month without impacting your SS. I think it is like 700.00 or so.

Start thinking about a job that you would like to do or that you can do. Being paralyzed is no reason to give up on having a real life.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

One hopes that your comment about Jazzy Jeff wasn't a nasty dig, although it certainly sounded like one. Judging from your avartar you have full use of your hands, which means find a job that you can do sitting down. Get training if necessary.

Trashing Jeff gets you where? I do believe it's the other way around though but none the less, not your business! Nor is trash talking another member going to get you much advice.

SSDI, IHSS, part-time jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    One hopes that your comment about Jazzy Jeff wasn't a nasty dig, although it certainly sounded like one. Judging from your avartar you have full use of your hands, which means find a job that you can do sitting down. Get training if necessary.
    Word.

Skippy in 2010 you can earn a whoppin $1,000
    I'm not rich but I have a job, don't spend my money on drinking or drugs and some months I don't make it, but usually I come out okay.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

I am a C5/6 quadriplegic, and I used vocational rehabilitation to get a job, and I now work for the state of Oregon with seniors and people with disabilities. I figured, if they can get me a job nobody can!

I had a great job with a good salary so when I voluntary left my job 3 years ago, I knew I'd be getting a decent SSDI. I also work part time just so I can keep busy and the extra cash helps too. I do own my home so thats one huge bill I don't have to worry about and I also don't have any children. I also have wondered how some of ya'll make it, I know I'm fortunate.

Most people here talk like the jobs are out there just waiting if only you can get some training. Around here you can have 7 PHD's and still not be able to find a job. Training is one thing, and Voc. Rehab is very good at that, but finding someone to hire you is quite another whole problem.

The rest of us just have to budget what we do get very tightly and have an extra portion for rainy day funds.(always raining)

I worked 20 years before my accident, like you, and therefore don't qualify for many state and federal programs because I make just over their cutoff income. But by doing the most with what I have, dumpster diving at the local University on move-out day each year and just plain old being a miser, things have squeaked through.