Thread: Braun van conversion glitch?

Braun van conversion glitch?

Has anyone else had any trouble with the airbag lights on a van with a Braun conversion? I have a 2005 Sienna that is perfectly fine except that when you turn on the ignition, the airbag light doesn't light up. Which wouldn't matter, except that I imported the van and that stupid light (or lack thereof) got me a fail on the inspection. So ridiculous.

The mechanics are stumped. The bulb is fine. The wiring looks fine. The airbags are fine too. Is there something about the conversion process, especially the fact that the front seats are removable, that might explain this? Do they disable the airbag sensor somehow?

I used to be an interior and electrical mechanic at Ford dealership's. I don't think the conversion would do much to cause problems with the airbags unless they accidentally tapped into the wiring for it. I don't know who you have working on it, but you may want to take it to a dealership and have them check it out instead of a independent shop. The dealerships tend to have seen more problems in that area than independent shops. As far as the problem, you never know, it could be something as simple as a wire are going to the airbag module or something as complicated as a ground wire that's come apart in a ground wire splice somewhere. That would be very difficult to find unless the ground wire for the module goes directly to the chassis, or something metal on the van. Good luck getting it figured out.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Did you have anything done to the steering? Did you get an e-z lock installed with the alarm on the dash perhaps? Any accessory added to the dash?

I only have issues w/ the tire light flashing but that is b/c the spare tire isn't plugged in b/c of the lowered floor. So expect that one too.

My Caravan has the opposite problem, the airbag light is always on. I've had the dealership and the mobility company both work on it...neither fixed it.
    KB

My Caravan is the same as kbailey's, with the airbag light always on. To be honest, I can't deal with it, or the unnecessary expense because I am pretty sure the airbags are just fine and that it is the light that is flewy. I put a Snoopy sticker over it so I don't have to look at it.......

Sienna Van

I had a similar problem on my 2008 Sienna and it was related to the Braun conversion. Some type of module needed to be replaced. I had the work done by a local "mobility dealer". You may want to contact Braun directly and ask them about your problem. They may recommend a local dealer for you. Hope this helps.
    In the dime stores and bus stations, people talk of situations, read books, repeat quotations, draw conclusions on the wall. ......Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    My Caravan is the same as kbailey's, with the airbag light always on. To be honest, I can't deal with it, or the unnecessary expense because I am pretty sure the airbags are just fine and that it is the light that is flewy. I put a Snoopy sticker over it so I don't have to look at it.......
    Lol, how much would I love to just put a Snoopy sticker over the place where the light should be. Alas, I doubt the inspectors would be as amused.

Thanks all for the responses. quad79, there's no EZ Lock, but there is a 6-way power seat. Nirvana, I've sent Braun an email, but in my case, being directed to my local mobility dealer is almost a non-option as the company, to put a not too fine point on it, sucks ass. (cough Shoppers cough) My next step, as rybread suggests, is to take it to a Toyota dealer, but if it is indeed a conversion issue, that will just be more money wasted.

Nirvana, do you remember what module was at fault on your van?

Thanks again.

Braun

I found the paperwork as follows.
    100495-001KS Oris Module
    Cost $170
    Good Luck
    In the dime stores and bus stations, people talk of situations, read books, repeat quotations, draw conclusions on the wall. ......Bob Dylan

Thanks!

i have had 3 vantage conversions since 1994, latest 2005. all caravan or town & country. no airbag lights. just seatbelt on pass side in latest. just my 2 cents.